cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub5 dhcp server

Vemaley
Tuning in

Hi, 

So I have the superhub 5 and so far, it's great. There's just a couple of things I can't do with it that I should be able too. 

Firstly, I can't disable the DHCP server. The option is there but whenever I try I get the error "Sorry! There was an error while updating your settings. Please try again a bit later" 

This was never an issue with the superhub 3 and seems to he a software issue. 

Secondly, when specifying my starting local address, it has to start from 192.168.0.10 whereas I want it to start from 192.168.0.2 but it won't let me. Says it isn't a valid ip address. Again, wasn't an issue with the 3, it let me start from .2 

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub5 is a work in progress, the firmware is far from complete. Fortunately for you that only some minor bugs have happened.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor. 

Thanks for the reply. I am aware its a trial bit of kit and glitches are possible. Though like beta testing, issues are to be reported. Otherwise they may not become aware of them and thus can't fix them. This is the only way I am aware of making them aware, after the 5th transfer call in the tech team finally knew what I was on about and told me to come here to post it. 

Plus, there was a chance someone had experienced similar and fixed it. 

Is there a better way to report bugs? Or even a correct way? If so, I'll go do that. 

Cheers

g0akc
Problem sorter

Whilst this is a bug, or a feature, can I ask you want the IP address assignment to be as you describe? 

You really want to assign addresses manually?  I've only done that in professional/commercial environments where there's been a need for tight control.

You have so many devices that loosing about 18 addresses is significant?

Just curious...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

It is a very valid question. Starting with the second one, no,  I don't have that many devices. Although it is entirely possible soon. With so many smart devices, each needing its own IP and without the ability to create a VLAN with the superhub 5, these soon add up. 

The main reason is I want all devices to point to a specific DNS. Now whilst I can manually configure the DNS of every device to point to my where I want, I prefer network wide control. I don't manually assign IPs, I have an alternative DHCP server. Which let's me control the DNS handed to devices. I am not sure why VM don't allow you to specify your own DNS. But it is what it is. 

Cheers. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So why not get your own router?

I can see VM not allowing disable of DHCP to stop people using them as AP or for easy support. I remember when I got my super hub 1 before their was modem mode and being smart I setup a static IP but could not access the web called up and they said the hub was online little did I known that the reason was I set DNS to 192.168.0.1 and yes that hub didn't have a DNS proxy changed to 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 and it all worked but now I use bind.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have my own router. However, I currently use it as an access point. The biggest issue with using it as a modem is VMs total refusal to do anything if your Internet is down. They never accept its a fault with them. Always say they won't look into any issues if using modem mode. Which frankly is absurd. Me using my own router doesn't stop the Internet reaching my modem...

I can't see any reason for VM to stop anyone being able to disable their inbuilt DHCP server. 

Of course setting up your DNS as your router will cause issues though. My DNS that I use is not my gateway. I've had the same setup for years. It just doesn't work with the 5. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it’s a circuit problem it matters not whether the hub is in modem mode or router mode. I have never ever run any VM hub in router mode, always modem mode with my own router. I also use two Pi-Holes as my DNS servers with the cloudflared module for DNS over HTTPS.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yeah that's fair. I've only just in the last few days gone to router mode. When I got the 5. Prior to that I was in modern mode and just had to wait for others to report network faults for them to get fixed as they wouldn't entertain me. 

I will be going back to modem mode when I get another couple of APs. 

I too use pihole as my dhcp as well as of course the DNS sink hole. Not got it with cloudflare though. 

Sorry to bump an old thread but I now have the same "broad" issue with a Hub 4. The DHCP reservation limit seems to be an arbitrary 32 at which point it won't let me add any more. There are two of us working from home and we have a few smart devices, I want to statically assign some devices for technical reasons but also so that I can easily spot new things as they pop up on our network.

I've paid for a certainly level of service, support and kit which includes a router which has then put some very arbitrary limits on basic things like DHCP and DNS. That's not okay, at all. If VM don't want to deal with a multitude of weird and wonderful configurations then just reset the router config remotely to some base line or at least tell me which bits are "not a supported configuration" but the answer is not "go buy an extra router and BTW we won't support you once you do".