cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 wireless channels

pedrot99
Tuning in
Spoiler

Im hoping someone can help me.  Ive been having issue with wifi connection drop outs where one device is fine and has internet connection but a device next to it will have intermittent connection.

Manually selecting a different wifi channel seems to resolve the issue however the hub keeps changing this back to channel 44 and the issue returns.  Ive tried resetting the hub with no joy.  Anyone got any suggestions?  Channel optimisation is disabled.

12 REPLIES 12

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you've selected channel 52 or higher then your hub's DFS setting may be switching you back to a lower channel.  DFS is a regulatory requirement, you can't turn it off, and the impact depends on whether you live anywhere near military or weather radars.  As I can see the Clee Hill radar station from the window there's not much point in me selecting channels above 52.  If it's not related to higher channels, then either (a) you've left "intelligent wifi" enabled, or (b) it's another firmware bug.

As a general rule, my advice is that it always makes sense to buy your own wifi gear if you find the hub's wireless performance lacking.  The hubs are built to the lowest feasible cost, and are usually OK for casual users - but anything remotely challenging and you find out that it's a pound shop affair.  Most entry level mesh systems can do better, as can any halfway decent router.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One thing that does cause the hub to select channels it wants is if smart/intelligent WiFi is turned on. Try turning it off. I can current see VM hubs in my area using 108, 102 and 52.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

beaker656
Dialled in

I have the same issue.

Assign quietest channels (every other property in the vicinity is on default channels) - 2.4Ghz-13 / 5Ghz-60. No DFS issues, used for years. Apply changes and it assigns the DEFAULT channels.

Another oddity is that nearly every night the 5Ghz channel allocation gets moved to 121, which is outside of my Wifi adaptor settings (my choice). Yet log into the hub says it's on 44.

Ring VM explain everything and get told "all is ok", then you have to go through the tick box dance, even though I've done it all. Sorry sir if you don't reset your router I can't proceed...You MUST have channel optimisation enabled (even though it doesn't work - proved during intelligent wifi pod trials 🤣) and I've always had it disabled. Ask for new hub, get told no it's working as it should be, you must have poor coverage do you need a booster - NO! No chance of a SH4 (unless I upgrade...💷💸) and all the while you are speaking with somebody with NO technical competence and has never used or even seen a SH3 aside from a picture.

Just painful.

Decided just to upgrade to Netgear Orbi mesh network and its been perfect so far. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi pedrot99, 

Thank you for posting to the Community and apologies for our delay in responding. I see our awesome community members have been assisting. 

We apologise for any issues you have experienced with the service, I appreciate this can be frustrating. 

From your most recent post, I see that things have improved since adding the additional equipment, is that still the case? 

For peace of mind, I have ran a quick check from our side and can confirm everything does appear to be running within specification. 

Please let us know how things are. 

Thanks 

Nat

EAB2021
On our wavelength

@Tudor wrote:

One thing that does cause the hub to select channels it wants is if smart/intelligent WiFi is turned on. Try turning it off. I can current see VM hubs in my area using 108, 102 and 52.

Hi @Tudor

How can you see what channels other people are using? Since I rebooted the hub to get the speed boost it's reset itself to 'smart wifi' and my connection keeps dropping, making it unusable for work. 

In the security section I have still got the 2.4 and 5ghz channels named separately, but given that in the wireless tab 'smart' wifi it has reverted to 'enable channel optimisation', perhaps that's why as there are several people in my flats with virgin.

So now I'm back in the Wireless signal section of the hub, what channel settings are recommended?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My Ubiquiti Wireless Access points and router software constantly scan both bands and I can see what channels and SSIDs, even hidden ones, that have broadcast in my area. During the last 24 hours I have seen 343 SSIDs. I cannot post a picture as it also contains the MAC address of the SSID, that how the software can detect VM ones.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

EAB2021
On our wavelength

So I guess without one of those is just trial and error to find the best channels. 

Are any less-used for whatever reason?

EAB2021
On our wavelength

I changed the channels to 1 and 48, assuming that most people haven't changed from the defaults of 13 and 60, and have had no drop outs, but the pod in my office has started flashing, meaning it's not connected.

The signal strength is so poor that even less than 10 metres from the router if I shut the door my computer will not remain connected without a pod. 

As far as I know, changing the wifi channel renders these things inactive, as there is no way for a user to reconnect them. This is the third I've had!