Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 21 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 and Asus RT-AC86U - Slow in Modem Mode

Not seeing connection speed on the Status tab, I have 3 tabs in that section 2.4, 5 and Status.  The Status tab just shows CPU and RAM usage.

The Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 wireless adaptor in my laptop does appear to be ac and it is running latest drivers.  There are a few posts on the net about issues with it so I'm sure theres a fix out there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 22 of 30
Flag for a moderator

The Merlin flavour of firmware lags behind the Native ASUS firmware. If you don't use the bells and whistles of Merlin I would stick to the the ASUS firmware. Asus firmware auto updates Merlin does not.

The latest release of ASUS firmware appears to have fixed  numerous issues. 

REGARDS

KK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 23 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Might well revert to be honest I use nothing over the stock firmware
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator

status.jpg

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 25 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I personally have not used the AC86U, but does it feature "Dual-Band Smart Connect"? This is where you let the router automatically decide to which band to use for your connected devices (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz), though I imagine that this is disabled if you are separating your wireless bands.

Based on what I've researched, the AC86U supports MU-MIMO via 2.4GHz 3 x 3, and 5GHz 4 x 4. However, your wireless network card - Qualcomm QCA9377 is a single-stream 802.11ac with a peak speed of 433Mbps. This is where the bottleneck is.

Unless sheer speed is what you desire on your laptop, then an upgrade could be a viable option.

Let me know how you're getting on with your router settings, I will try to be of help.  

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 26 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.  Not sure if it's because Im on Merlin firmware but there is no Port info, only CPU and RAM:

The laptop issue is just really an aside that I discovered during this but really interesting that a card that supposedly support 433Mbps is actually capable of around half that.  Something I may look to remedy at some stage but for now a LAN cable is fine and probably no less convenient than a bulky USB card if that would even cure it.

As an aside, tried to roll back to latest ASUS firmware gets to 100% then following reboot Im still on Merlin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 27 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're tech savvy, then you can try to view/set the link speeds manually via telnet.

https://blog.kamens.us/2014/11/30/howto-set-the-link-speed-duplex-of-a-port-on-an-asus-router/

I've not tried Merlin as I've been happy with Asus' stock firmware. Not really had any issues with my old AC66U_B1 router nor my current AX88U.

A USB to Ethernet converter can work, provided that your USB port is USB 3.0, ethernet cables rated at Cat 5e or above.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 28 of 30
Flag for a moderator

There is no port info shown in the AC56U and I would guess the RT-AC86U as they are basically the same device. d3m0nedge posted a screenshot from an AC88U which is a far more feature rich device.

Our message exchange indicates that the link between your AC86U and the HUB 3 is running at 1Gb/s, otherwise you will have never seen speeds greater than around 100Mb/s.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 29 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Was just offering my expertise with Asus routers, that's all.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@RichieC43 wrote:

The laptop issue is just really an aside that I discovered during this but really interesting that a card that supposedly support 433Mbps is actually capable of around half that.  Something I may look to remedy at some stage but for now a LAN cable is fine and probably no less convenient than a bulky USB card if that would even cure it.

Real world speeds are usually half your link speed.  Have a look at this PDF:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.p...

On page 15 there is an equation:

Max throughput = (max data rate ÷ 2) ÷ number of clients

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos