cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Modem Mode

steve4180
Tuning in

I wish to use my Superhub 3 in modem mode, to facilitate the installation of an Eero mesh network. In its current router mode, I have a desktop PC and a Hive hub hardwired to the Superhub using two of the four Ethernet ports. I have been told that in modem mode, only one of the four Ethernet ports on the Superhub will be available (if correct, which one) and I will obviously need this port to hardwire the Eero gateway unit to the Superhub. Is it not possible to continue to use the remaining Ethernet ports on the Superhub when it's in modem mode to continue to hardwire other devices? Otherwise, I presume that I will have to connect the desktop PC and Hive hub to the available Ethernet port on the Eero gateway unit through an Ethernet switch, which seems rather messy. Would the PC and Hive hub have wired internet connectivity simultaneously in such configuration? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
no you can not use the other ports. you need need to connect your devices to your new router.
The Hub will only be a dumb modem and your own hardware will become the wireless/router

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Just buy a desktop unmanaged gigabit switch.

Simple. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
no you can not use the other ports. you need need to connect your devices to your new router.
The Hub will only be a dumb modem and your own hardware will become the wireless/router

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Just buy a desktop unmanaged gigabit switch.

Simple. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

steve4180
Tuning in

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Do you know which of the Ethernet ports on the Superhub 3 remains active in modem mode. Also, does a gigabit switch require a specific type of Ethernet cable, as my current setup is all Cat5e cables from the Hub in router mode. 

think it's number 4 - the bottom one - you connect that to the new router.

I believe any remain active but as soon as you connect a device to one it locks the others out.

So long as you have a CAT5e/6/7 cable you’ll be fine. 

If you really want to avoid having an additional powered switch, then so long as the Eero can be configured as an access point, you could keep the Hub 3 in router mode but turn off its wireless networks and then you use the ports on the Hub 3 to connect wired devices, and the Eero would provide your wireless mesh.  

Some of us are dubious of the Hub 3 even as a non-wireless router, but there's plenty of people happily using the Hub 3 with (for example) BT Whole Home mesh discs, and as they only function in access point mode, the Hub 3 has to be in router mode, so this setup can work OK.  

I did run my Deco M9 in router mode and put in access point, but still had problems with Sonos.

I also run Eero now and I would strongly recommend running the Hub 3 in Modem mode and link the bottom port on your hub into the Eero / Eero pro.

On the other port on your Eero I have put a £20 8 way netgear gigabit switch which is working seamlessly and gives me more port options.
Yes you can run the Eero with your hub in Router mode, but Eero strongly recommend you don't and I have found when I have done this - yes it does let you use the ports on the back, but even if turning wifi off there is conflict with systems such as Sonos, amazon Echo systems being intermittent.

100% use on modem mode, Eero is a great system, not as powerful as some of the other mesh systems on the market, but one of the most stable I have ever used.

Can I check please, if I want to set my super hub 3 to modem mode to allow me to use a Google Nest Wifi mesh router, can I keep the ethernet cable that goes into my TV, as well as a cable to the Google Nest router?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@NJ1969 wrote:

Can I check please, if I want to set my super hub 3 to modem mode to allow me to use a Google Nest Wifi mesh router, can I keep the ethernet cable that goes into my TV, as well as a cable to the Google Nest router?

Not to the hub no you need a switch to the Google Nest LAN port and connect your wired devices to that.

---------------------------------------------------------------