Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 21 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub - alternative routers?

well truth in advertising as a whole new big topic. it's likely that h3 is fine for most of hthe poeple, most of the time, and you are in a bad area or some such.

you need other online gamers to tell you how to prove if it is the hub that is bottlenecking you. I dont get why it needs a uber CPu for on line games, surely it just needs fast and stable ping as very little actual data has to be transferred ?

you'd save yourself a lot of frustration by buying your own router & putting the hub into modem mode, I reckon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 22 of 63
Flag for a moderator

That's exactly what I've done but I feel I shouldn't have to.. if I could turn back time would have chosen either Sky or BT. It's no use having up to 100 mbps when it's unstable . All with one common factor.. The SUPERHUB 3!!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 23 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Yeah using superhub3 on modem mode myself with Asus router.. it's sad though that we have to go through such measures and im £100 out of pocket for a superior router ...
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 24 of 63
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 25 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thanks .. I wish Virgin were just open about it when you contacted the help desk...
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to bump this but i cant find a recent obvious thread to ask in.

I've concluded that our superhub 3 is just not up to the job. We get a weekly reboot to solve issues we get (mainly around dropped WiFi connections that are manifested in my wife's video conferencing disconnecting and VoIP failing, although other devices in the house are connecting fine during the interruptions. When this happens, most of the time her Apple devices won't then reconnect without cycling the router power which is a pain. Specially when you're in the middle of a call.

What recommended models can you guys suggest around the £100 mark? I don't want to spend more than that in case it doesn't solve it.....

I've even gone to the lengths of downloading and running netuptimemonitor on a laptop on ethernet connection to see if it's the internet connection dropping but it doennt appear to be that (aside from the odd occasion when virgin has a known issue in my area)

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately until Virgin resolve the issues with the Hub 3 nothing is going to make a significant difference.

I work in IT and have tried various combinations of high end enterprise level routers and WiFi access points but still run into the same issues you describe.

With the current firmware massive latency spikes and dropped UDP packets are a known issue. VoIP and video conferencing are two of the applications that are seriously impacted by this.

Some people on another thread have been able to get the Hub 3 swapped for a Hub 2AC but from the looks of it, this is rare and requires repeated complaints and escalations.

If you want to try alternative WiFi hardware look at getting a cheap access point instead of a full router this should be significantly cheaper. Also try to purchase from a local retailer that will accept a return if your issues persist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused. If you've removed the superhub from the equation, where does the root cause lie with dropped packets and latency spikes? If theres a useful thread on this forum please point me at it and I'll do some reading up. I know that VoIP and videoconferencing are both going to be very susceptible to the slightest latency or packet loss, and this is a consumer broadband line, not a 99.9999999% uptime commercial leased line but it's not unreasonable not to have something that doesn't drop below a point where a video conferencing cannot be sustained.

Also, can you point me at any evidence to support this known issue? I'm happy to research but I'd like to understand more about this issue if it's systemic. I have been a user of a samknows white box now for about six months and the testing, whilst not constant, doesn't show up any consistent issues. Are you saying even in modem mode, the firmware known issue will still not provide a stable connection?

The fact that some devices can't reconnect to the wireless connection surely points at the superhub?

I work in IT, but it doesn't make me remotely qualified to diagnose complex network faults.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I haven't removed the Hub 3 from the equation. In fact that's the one area I am unable to resolve as Virgin do not allow the use of third party modems on their network.

For reference you may like to have a look at the following regarding the ongoing issues with the Hub 3. This is not limited to Virgin as can be seen from the links below, but it does cause issues for every Virgin user that has a hub 3. Some use cases are more noticeable but the slow and unreliable DNS is noticeable when browsing. Most may think it's just a poor site or slow broadband but when using a hub 2 or below the difference is night and day.

I also agree that this should not be enough to disrupt a video conference session but particularly for wireless devices, especially apple devices on wireless I have observed this exact behaviour. 

And finally yes this is as much a problem in modem mode as in router mode.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 30 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Interesting post, I am having the same issues with mySH3 after many years of perfect service from my hub 2.

Which routers are recommended if I went out to buy one?

0 Kudos