cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 3 and TP link deco m5

Omq1
Joining in

Hi 

I’ve bought the TP link deco m5 with 3 units to work with my super hub 3 in order to give me better WiFi around the house. The reason was that I was getting lots of blind spots where there was no WiFi and the WiFi was also very unstable and kept dropping out.

I’ve connected the main deco unit to the super hub with a cable and then wirelessly connected the other 2 units to the main unit. I’ve left the super hub in whatever mode it was in and used the router mode for the decos. So I think the super hub is still in router mode and the decos are also in router mode. I can connect to either WiFi. I also have various devices connected by Ethernet cable to the super hub router. 

It all seems to work, but I’ve read various threads suggesting I should use the super hub in modem mode with the deco. I just want to ensure I’ve got the fastest and most stable connection around the house. Can anyone advise if my set up is ok or if I should turn off router mode on the super hub (or alternatively switch the decos into AP mode - which I understand turns them into extenders of the super hub WiFi connection). And if I do turn off router mode on the super hub will that mean everything currently connected by wired connection to the super hub will stop working. 
Many thanks in advance for any advice. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You have 2 options.

Leave the hub in router mode to handle DHCP etc. and set the Deco’s up as AP’s

or

Put the Hub in Modem Mode and have the main Deco node act as the Router (a far better option).

Anything wired to the hub will need to plug into the Deco’s and you’ll need a simple unmanaged desktop switch if you need more port availability 

Having both in router mode can lead to DHCP issues, double NAT etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I agree with gary_dexter's comments.  If you still want to use the ethernet ports on the back of the hub it has to be in router mode, and if the hub is in router mode the Decos must be in Access Point mode.  In my view, you'll get better overall performance if you allow the Decos to act as router, but then any wired devices need to be connected to the Decos, and if you have several wired devices you may need an ethernet switch (if not familiar, it may help to think of this as a port multiplier rather than a switch).  Ethernet switches use their own power supply, so that's worth bearing in mind.

Regardless of which you choose, I would counsel that you turn off the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi of the VM hub in settings.  There's no point polluting the local airwaves with the hub's mediocre wifi if you have invested in the superior Deco mesh, and there's even the possibility of limiting the performance of the Decos (for example, because the Deco's auto setup might decide to limit channel width on detecting the nearby hub's competing signals).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

36 REPLIES 36

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You have 2 options.

Leave the hub in router mode to handle DHCP etc. and set the Deco’s up as AP’s

or

Put the Hub in Modem Mode and have the main Deco node act as the Router (a far better option).

Anything wired to the hub will need to plug into the Deco’s and you’ll need a simple unmanaged desktop switch if you need more port availability 

Having both in router mode can lead to DHCP issues, double NAT etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I agree with gary_dexter's comments.  If you still want to use the ethernet ports on the back of the hub it has to be in router mode, and if the hub is in router mode the Decos must be in Access Point mode.  In my view, you'll get better overall performance if you allow the Decos to act as router, but then any wired devices need to be connected to the Decos, and if you have several wired devices you may need an ethernet switch (if not familiar, it may help to think of this as a port multiplier rather than a switch).  Ethernet switches use their own power supply, so that's worth bearing in mind.

Regardless of which you choose, I would counsel that you turn off the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi of the VM hub in settings.  There's no point polluting the local airwaves with the hub's mediocre wifi if you have invested in the superior Deco mesh, and there's even the possibility of limiting the performance of the Decos (for example, because the Deco's auto setup might decide to limit channel width on detecting the nearby hub's competing signals).

good luck with there M5, I had the M9 and loved the speed, but had a few problems with the wifi cutting off now and again and also sonos was going crazy every now and again !! I run it both in Router mode (with wifi off and after using it in AP mode) and still had a few problems. The M9 was great speed around the house, and im sure your M5 will be the same. I also run this is modem mode and had better results, but still sonos was playing up, after several chats with TP-Link tech help they did a check and there is an update due out, but i ended up moving to Eero Pro.

I would 100% run it in Modem mode and get a Netgear gigabit switch (8 way, £20 on amazon)

Enjoy !

The Eero’s aren’t that great.

BT Whole Home is better than the Eero

Thanks for the helpful answers. How do I access the super hub controls to turn it to modem mode and switch off the 2.4 and 5 ghz signals (do I have to do that even if I put it in modem mode?). I know there’s a way of accessing it from my browser but don’t know the code/ site. 

thanks in advance. 

I was tempted to get the BT Whole Home system, before I tried the M9. The system does seem to have great reviews but my concern was lots of reviews on drop outs from Sonos users, and terrible support and corrupt firmware updates, but lots of great reviews. Just never been a fan of anything i have had from BT in the past.

As in the Eero's aren't great - well I have read nothing but great reviews from forums, users, Reddit posts, Sonos forums etc  (and now myself as a user) and all more or less saying this system is one of the most stable mesh systems on the market. I will admit, the speed upstairs was 380mb + on my TP-link, but the drop outs, sonos issues etc were very very bad. But since reading and talking to many people who are on Virgin and have Eero, it was worth trying it, and so far its been the most internet I have ever used. I must admit, they are a bit pricey vs the BT and others, but they work!! and their support and firmware updates they are listening to their customers with updates and design etc. Just wish Virgin did! Im again if Virgin did a hub that actually gave off great wifi! and a small Mesh device to plug in an upstairs room to expand their great wifi, that would be great.

The system I have is the Eero Pro.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You only need to turn off the hub's wifi if you're running it in router mode and the Decos are in access point mode.  If the hub is in modem mode (as mine is, with a TP-Link Deco M4) then the hub's wifi and router functions are all switched off.

To access modem mode, here's the official guide:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

It's the same "way in" to setting to turn off wifi, but tunring off the wifi signals is under one of the other menus - possibly Advanced settings>Wireless.

As the Deco is designed to replace the router it should remain in router mode in order for it to have full functionality and the hub should be in modem mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi, I’ve just purchased and tried to set up the Deco M5 with my super hub 3.

read up various posts before I did and decided the best approach is SH3 in modem mode then connect the deco and then a network switch to get to my wired devices.

however, I can’t seem to get the deco online when the hub is in modem mode.  I’ve checked all ports and I can get online by connecting my laptop but when I connect the deco it’s light stays red.  Wireless signal is okay but isn’t connecting to internet.

i switched the hub back to router mode and the deco springs into life.  Carried out firmware updates on the deco and checked settings on the app to see if it was on router mode but still no joy.

anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on with this?