Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 upgrade

Hi, I have been a Virgin Media customer for a long time so I'm still on the the Super Hub 2. Firstly, should I be able to get a free upgrade from the Super Hub 2 to Super Hub 3? Secondly, I've been having regular connection issues on my Super Hub 2, with devices such as PS4 and smart TV constantly losing Wi-Fi. Should upgrading to a Super Hub 3 solve this? It's becoming a very regular problem now and seeing as I'm out of contract if it continues I'll be very tempted to switch to BT. Any help much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 upgrade

You will get a free upgrade to the Hub3 if you want one. Just call in and say the wifi is no longer working and you cannot connect your phones or tablets to the internet and you want a technician visit to fix it - they will simply swap the Hubs.
Or you can do as I (and many others do) and put the SH2 into modem mode and attach your own wireless router and/or access point. Its a combination that has worked flawlessly for me for the last few years and it gives you the option to get a router with more features that you might like and a hopefully a more stable wireless network that you have full control of

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ross_3838,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection when using the Hub 2.

We'd be happy to look at getting your hub upgraded if you'd like or have you been able to speak to the team since posting?

Let me know and we'll take it from there.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa, Thanks for the reply. I did call customer services but it wasn't particularly helpful to be honest. They did some tests and sent me a generic email about improving Wi-Fi performance, but nothing that actually solved my particular problem. If a free upgrade of my hub is an option it's something I'd like to try. Thanks, Ross
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ross.

Thank you for coming back to us.

I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can do some further checks and get you a new router if required.

I will send you an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I disagree sorry

It not free.. I have tried 4 times today to get what they state ie that I am eligible for a free upgrade to Hub 3 because I have an older Hub which drops Wifi frequently. I have been passed from one to the other, all what me to have a technical discussion to fic the issue...it needs them to send an upgraded Hub

And for the pleasure of this 'Free' upgrade ..which will enable VM to actually provide the service I pay for..they want £35 

If anyone wants the transcripts of the ridiculous conversations, proof that i am eligible for free upgrade (as stated by VM on My Account page) and the suggested £35 charge..please ffel free to request

VM do not care about long standing loyal customers!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you just trying over the phone with the offshore lot who it seems haven't been informed of the free upgrade scheme yet?

If so You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme on the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3/4's

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

If you have and get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,4 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - It may be that they think that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here until a Mod picks it up in a day or two

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

£35 is the standard activation fee they charge.

The Hub itself is free.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

£35 is the standard activation fee they charge.

The Hub itself is free.

Nowhere in the T&C's say that there is an activation charge

Free Hub 3 upgrade:

Available to selected Virgin Fibre customers only who have a Super Hub 2ac, or older as their main hub and who has been notified by Virgin Media as eligible via their ‘My Virgin Media’ account.  One free upgrade per account to replace your existing hub, which we may ask you to return to us. The Hub 3 and any other equipment we provide to you remains the property of Virgin Media and must be returned to us at any time upon request, otherwise a charge will apply.  Installation: Free upgrade requires hub self-installation via QuickStart and delivery to store by Click & Collect.  £5 charge for optional home delivery.  You can chose a delivery date online and an order confirmation will be sent to you via email. Delivery dates are subject to availability and could take over 30 days.  If we cannot provide the date you have chosen we will deliver on the next available date and confirm this by email. See FAQs for further details. This Legal Stuff applies in addition to your existing agreement with us under our terms and conditions, which can be found here. Promotion can be withdrawn at any time and is subject to stock availability.  General:  Registered address: Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UP. Registered in England and Wales No. 02591237.   

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello there im trying to get the free superhub 3 upgrade online and it keeps saying “opps” and i have tried calling and have been waiting for over an hour and a half, i have been using the super hub 1 since i started my contract with virgin media 2 years ago, my super hub 1 is so slow and when it is cut off unexpectidely (ie: my electricity runs out) it becomes even slower all and any devices in my house that are streaming or just browsing the internet start buffering for long periods of time and sometimes just shows on all devices that there is no internet connection, i have a lot of devices in my home and the superhub 1 just cannot keep up, is there anyway you could send a quick start superhub 3 via post, thanks in advance

Ross.

0 Kudos