cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

Hi @Felim_Doyle,

Thanks for coming back to us. Is the hub currently turned off as I am not able to run tests on it. If so, please turn it on, let us know and we can do those 🙂

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@John_GS wrote:

Is the hub currently turned off as I am not able to run tests on it.

Yes, John, the SuperHub 3 was powered off as I have been away in June and July dealing with a family medical emergency. I actually returned home late on the day of your post but have only just read it now.

Although I am away again, the SH3 should be powered on this time so you may run your diagnostic tests. You will see a regular pattern of rebooting overnight but that is not the only issue. The number of DHCP connected devices is a big problem and I have had to allocate fixed IP addresses to as many devices as possible to reduce the impact of this fault.

When the SH3 reboots, it can take up to twelve hours for devices to reconnect due to the issue with the DHCP server. Reducing the number of DHCP devices improves this but it can still take an unreasonable time to stabilise. I avoid rebooting the SH3 during the day as I would lose access to several devices and I work from home almost exclusively so this would be disastrous. It is not possible to allocate fixed IPs to all of the devices on my network and, in any case, it shouldn't be necessary. 

Regards

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Hey Felim_Doyle, thank you reaching back out and confirming this.

Okay I would like to run some tests with you via a PM, so we can get this resolved for you.

Please can you look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

No sign of the PM yet, Matthew.

Félim

Hi

i have been having a lot of drop outs which last a few minutes and then everything back to normal. I had an engineer come out but couldn’t find anything wrong but did replace the hub. Still having the same issues intermittently but more often than not the hub is just rebooting sometimes twice in a row and then the connection is ok. 

LeeRuss_0-1659707556520.png

I have switched on the broadband quality monitor which is showing a lot of high latency spike but I’m not sure what normal should look like. I am running in modem mode as I have an Asus mesh system XD4s. 

is there anything else I can do to try work out what the problem is?

any help would be much appreciated 

Hey LeeRuss, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to see you are having some connection issues.

Please can you try using the router without being in modem mode and running through the mesh system, I would just like to see if it makes any difference at all?

Once you have done that please may you let me know if it changes anything. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt

Thanks for replying and apologies for the delay, I was away in the week.

Today I changed the router back to router mode and switched off the mesh system completely. It has been about 1.5hrs since and the router has restarted 3 times since then. The connection speed is also very slow ~50Mbps compared to my usual almost 400Mbps as measured by Fast.com. Not sure why the speed would be so much slower, doesn’t make much sense to me.

I set up a new Broadband Quality Monitor which isn’t looking very healthy but will leave it running for longer to check.

I have left it in router mode for the time being and will keep monitoring but it all looks at lot worse at the moment.

Thanks for your help so far

Regards

Leon

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

How is everything at the moment? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

LeeRuss
On our wavelength

Hi

I left the router in router mode for the rest of the day but had lots of issues. I think my connection was down more than it was up so eventually got hold of Virgin on WhatsApp chat. They ran a test and said an engineer will have to come out which is booked in for Friday. Not really sure what he is going to do but think I’ll switch back to modem mode before he comes so he can see for himself. 

I switched back to modem mode and switched my mesh back on. It is much better but is still dropping randomly for a few mins at a time. I have run the online ‘check status’ but it just says “Sorry, we can’t run a test on your services right now” so not sure what’s going on there now. The guy did say he can see there has been an issue with my connection for over 7 days and even gave me a credit for £5 as a goodwill gesture ( I didn’t even ask for this or complain, I was just trying to get the issue resolved!) so I assume they can see something isn’t working correctly.

When it is working it works well and I have good speed and the hub is new so not sure what else could be the issue.

Which hub do you have, Lee, and how long have you had the VM broadband service?

Félim