cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 reboots / resets itself frequently

badger999
Tuning in

I am having nonstop issues with the Super hub 3 router that keeps resetting rebooting itself since the past few weeks. All wired and wifi connections drop until the reboot is complete and then everything starts working again. This happens at least 7-8 times a day sometimes more. Various complaints made via telephone to Virgin Media who don't appear to care. All phones for technical faults are handled by call takers in India who read from a script and it appears that they don't have a clue about the issues. I have resorted to taking the matter through ADR scheme through the regulators to seek Virgin media bosses attention on this issue as they appear to not really be bothered. Virgin Media will not send a tech out or replace the router and frankly are an appalling company to deal with. Any one have a fix for this?

299 REPLIES 299

Hi Felim

Thankfully no, not that I have noticed. I am quietly hopeful but will need to give a couple more weeks to be sure. 

That first (and only) dropout and reboot was perhaps an update although it didn’t show in the logs. Strangely the logs every day or so go retro and visit 1970 for one entry, thankfully the network speeds have stayed solid at >500mb, 21st century speeds 😂

For reference when I had that particular dropout / Reboot SuperHub 3 issue, it was not at specific times, seemingly random but very regular through the day and night.

Best regards

Matrick

E7D681BA-061E-4DED-AB89-233F3A318093.jpeg

Matrick,

I see that you have had a couple of visits to 1970 which is worrying. The firmware in these routers is extremely flaky but inconsistently so which is disturbing.

How is the time value becoming zero?

Is it a memory overwrite? This is something that that I suspect is happening all over the SH3 firmware.

Is it a failed read from the system clock / system interrupt gone wrong?

Whatever it is, it's indicative of poor software design / development and even poorer quality control.

This is what brings aircraft down!

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Hi Felim

When I first checked the logs I could see one 1970 and the May 2022 log entries and assumed these were testing records. However there is a 1970 record sandwiched between the June entries so it does beg the question as you say.

Assuming the drop out issue doesn’t come back I’ll live with it of course… fingers firmly crossed again. 

Matrick 

Ps. don’t fly Virgin 🤣

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Matrick,

I'm glad to see things are running smoothly so far, please keep us updated. In regards to the 1970 log, I'll pass this over to our Equipment Team to take a look at - it may simply be visual glitch as this is not a known issue to be affecting any services across our network.

There's always one benefit from this.. we're not an aircraft 😏 As I mentioned before, please keep us updated if you begin to have the same issues.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thanks Reece 👍🏼😊

So far no more drop outs and reboot, since that one instance, so I am still cautiously optimistic and enjoying the steady connection.

Best regards

Matrick

@Reece_MH wrote:

Hi @Matrick,

There's always one benefit from this.. we're not an aircraft 😏 As I mentioned before, please keep us updated if you begin to have the same issues.

Cheers,

Equally so, Reece, having SuperHub 3/4/5s operating reliably and correctly diagnosing and rectifying broadband faults isn't exactly rocket science either!

Félim

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response Felim_Doyle,

Can I ask are you still facing issues yourself?

Let us know,

Kain

Well it’s another week and I haven’t noticed a single dropout / reboot. This issue does appear does to be resolved.

Assuming things continue well and no similar issues start after an update, then it does appear that the engineer was correct in that old SuperHub 3s will very often be problematic when operating at faster speeds.

Thanks all for the assistance 

@Kain_W wrote:

Thanks for the response Felim_Doyle,

Can I ask are you still facing issues yourself?

Let us know,

Yes Kain,

I have reduced the impact somewhat by giving my mobile phones and tablets static IP addresses but I am still suffering loss of service due to the reboot of the SH3 during the night and the recovery time for the Wi-Fi after the reboot is still excessive.

Félim