cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 WiFi Dropping out

Moobagsdad
Tuning in

Hi All

I have the 200 service with a super hub 3. I have split the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks so I dont have automatic switching between the two.

I also have an old super hub 2 acting as a hub and wifi extender also running 2.4 and 5 ghz  networks also split as above and from that I have the VM pulg wifi extenders (these are rubbish) My super hub 2 is connected directly with a network cable to the super hub 3.

the wifi from the super hub 3 drops in and out every five mins or so, I have checked all the settings, scanned my local area to make sure that I am operating on channels not currently used by neighbours and still have an issue. yesterday I did a full factory reset and it stabalised for a few hours yet this morning the problem has returned.

I am fully aware that due to the way my other network performs with the super hub 2 that the problem lies soley with the wifi on the SH3 the hub is clearly recieving internet as the SH2 is broadcasting a signal without issue (this is not how I wish to continue running my network) The SH3 is in the middle of the house, it is 7 feet off the ground with excellent airflow all around it yet it is getting quite warm. I suspect that the router is knackered and needs replacing but I cannot get hold of anyone at VM to speak to to arrange a new piece of equipment. does anyone on here have any magical solutions that will fix this or is anyone from VM listening that would like to take this on and fix my issue please?

Many thanks

Edit: Main laptop is less than 8 feet from the router with direct line of sight.

13 REPLIES 13

I ended up replacing the hub with a dedicated router and switching the VM SH3 into modem mode.

I purchased the Tp-Link Archer C6 above on an amazing deal for £35 and I’ve not regretted it for a minute. Not had a single drop out since March!

Thanks I have done that, works great now.

However, as a IT tech I support home users for my company due to pandemic, I have gotten users working in past via Home plugs (direct ethernet connection) as the router is not mine to fix. But i would like to know the fix from VM. I called today and was advised a firmware upgrade would be sent remotely, no time scale when. The nice fellow on the call didnt say it would resolve, but that he would try and that VM have no known issues with their routers and told me to sit closer to it. Thanks, why didnt i think of that?

I cant really ask users and have no intention of doing home visit, to set up a new router as the VM is rubbish(which you pay VM for)

Hello Speedyin2000

I have checked the hub form here and we do have a slight issue with one of your downstream power levels 

Which would need an engineer to come out 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security to arrange this 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks for those details Speedyin2000
I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L