cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Weak Wifi

RobAng
Tuning in

Ignore the frustrations with VM customer service. Just the facts...

I have never had problems before (long standing customer of 20+ years)

My TV and Broadband package is fine (MT350 and Hub 3)

In the past two months the kids have moaned of bad WiFi (I am not in a big house. All on one level. The VM App says the signal is excellent in all rooms)

It has got progressively worse. To the extent that my WiFI network has occasionally crashed completely (not enough signal to sustain the Alexa controlling the lights and the blink cameras) and I have even had trouble streaming tv programs.

Total first world problem. But I'm tearing my hair out as nothing has changed. Nothing new has been added. Nothing has been moved.... But suddenly my signal is weaker.

A VM engineer has been out and recommended the Virgin Pod to fill in a single blackspot he found on my property. Instead I went out and bought two tp link mesh extenders  (RE220s) to boost the signal. I figured it could do no harm. Still to no avail.

I set about naming the myriad of devices that connect to my network (identified almost all of them). Admittedly theres quite a few. But its never been an issue before - and this volume has not increased (I might have mentioned that NOTHING has changed). I have downloaded speed test apps and have seen that my new neighbours have had a BT WiFi system installed. Could this be causing my problems? I went into the Router and changed the auto channel select to a different channel to avoid confusion (its been a steep learning curve) but it's still weak....

Can they connect stuff to my network in error (i dont believe they can as they dont have my password). But any suggestions as to what I should look out for/what I can do?

20 REPLIES 20

Hi Tom!

Download speed via WiFi (within 4ft unobstructed line of sight of my Superhub) on my phone is presently 0.05mb/s and the upload test failed to complete, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

If the problem is still present tomorrow, I'll get a tech out to check my Superhub.

Thanks for your response.

Jac

Tom

Wired Ethernet connection (of which there are 3 -2 pcs and a ps4) are fine. Speeds are good. But then there WAS no problem with the WiFi either and that nosedive with no change to traffic or infrastructure. It just became weak.

I understand the many factors that might contribute to this hence no guarantee of wifi speed. But my frustration is that nothing changed yet the WiFi is suddenly negligible. If I had moved the router or connected new devices I would understand.

The WiFi signal is so weak (and I reiterate nothing has changed) that the tp link extenders wouldn't work (there was nothing to extend). I have bought a TP link WiFi booster to see if that boosts the sudden negligible output from the router.

What I object to is first the service desk (and the engineer) said there wasn't a problem as all my services are fine. When there is an obvious problem. Then they proffered me a solution of three pods. Which, apart from costing me an additional £15 a month in 'rental' would mean I would have to extend my contract for 12 months. Sneaky.

I just want someone from vm to invest some time in this and establish what the problem is and proffer a solution that will not cost me more.

No chance. And if I am doing all the work myself to identify the issue why am I renting the equipment (and have been for 20+ years). I should just kiss goodbye to my old blueyonder email address and get a provider that will give a decent WiFi signal...

Hi @JustACustomer,

I've just checked things again for you on our systems, and I'm unable to locate any faults on the system currently to explain the problems you're facing. As such, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can take a closer look over things.

Please respond to this when you can and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @RobAng,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. I am very sorry to hear that sadly your Wi-Fi connections aren't any stronger for you.

Just to ensure that we've covered all bases, would you mind confirming what diagnostics and troubleshooting you've carried out thus far in an effort to remedy this situation?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Rough timeline :

June 2020 problems started

WiFI was weak  with no other changes - no extra usage. No infrastructure changes. Nothing. Initially it was sporadic and countered by using mobile data instead of WiFi (switching the WiFi connection off).

Downloaded VM App that said the WiFi signal was actually Excellent in all rooms scanned. And just Good in one room

Regardless of this the situation got worse - in close proximity and in plain unobstructed sight of the Router there was still no signal -  so I contacted VM Customer Service (+1hr wait on the telephone). They ran diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong but a 'solution' was for me to sign up to the Volt package and increase the broadband package I paid for (currently MT350).

Initially I agreed then thought this would be just masking the problem not resolving it so I again contacted VM CS the next day (again waiting +1 hr on the telephone). I was told I didn't actually need the Volt package (that came with a phone). I could instead upgrade to 1TB internet without the phone for the same price. I insisted that the package remain the same (no upgrade phone or not) and that an engineer be booked to asses the weak signal.

In the interim I did a full audit of all the traffic on the Router: Mobile Phones, Tablets, Alexa devices and 3 ethernet connections (via powerlink). 

The engineer told me the signal was weak but ok. That there were no hard ware issues and the actual Router position was fine. I am in a bungalow and the Router is in the middle room. He said that the one bedroom (the same room that the VM App had identified as "Good" not "Excellent" like the others was actually a black spot and getting no WiFi signal so I would benefit from getting a VM pod.

But he explained that the Pod would not be compatible with the PowerLink adaptors so they would also have to be replaced with pods. So 3 pods. But contact CS and they would send them to me for Free.

I contacted CS again (again waiting +1hr) and was told it wasnt free it would be a £15 a month charge.

Instead I bought 2x TP Link extenders.

I downloaded a channel/speed test app. And reconfigured the Router to broadcast on a channel that was uncongested.

I split all the items to the Router to point at either the 2.4 ghz network or the 5ghz network.

I moved the router marginally.

No improvement so I again contacted VM CS (and again waited on the phone) and was told there were engineers in the area and that was having an adverse impact and should wait and I would finally see an improvement.

I didnt see an improvement so I begun I testing the speed of the signal it was routinely below 1 mbps.

So the failures were just becsue the signal was not good. The extenders were not working as they had nothing to extend.

I removed the Alexa devices and the extenders and instead bought a TP Link booster (AC2600)

Since then the speed of the signal has increased to 6-9 mbps. Which appears to be more than enough to support what was being supported by VM before. And there is no black spot.

Though I am aware that this is the same, simply masking the problem, rather than identifying it and addressing it.

But when you are within 4m clear unobstructed sight of the router and are only getting less than 1 mbps (which wasnt the case prior to June) then there is something wrong. And from other comments on this thread then it would appear I am not the only person experiencing this.

Something may be wrong with the Router. But VM CS have assured me that from the diagnostics they have run there is not. The Engineer that visited assured me there was not. But the fact that there was no signal and now there is and the infrastructure that was supported is now supported again (albeit with a 3rd party booster) is crazy.

All was working fine before without the third party equipment. Then it developed a weakness and that has resulted in a requirement to buy third party boosters to resolve the issue.

And remember nothing changed to cause this issue in the first place! It just started happening. And there has been no support from VM - other than increasing my phone useage. The inconsistency of advice and the constant attempts to upsell - just pay for a bigger package, just pay for extra pods. Is not a solution. Finding out why the signal is suddenly weak is.

"Covered all bases" more like "Covered ANY bases"

Started in June 2022 not June 2020...

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RobAng,

Thanks for your detailed walkthrough of events there. I've taken a look at things on our end, and there doesn't seem to be an issue with the speeds being received to your Hub itself. However, I am seeing some packet loss on your network, which can cause intermittence, and slow speeds.

I'm going to pop you a private message to gather some further details. Please look out for it in the top-right of our Forums, in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

A quick update. Reece on here contacted me by PM and booked an appointment for two engineers to visit.

They came round and did two things.

i) replaced the connectors on my cable outside (both ends - at the VM connection box end and in the entry to the house)

ii) fitted an electric booster to the cable so the signal going into the router was stronger.

They guessed that the cable into the house/router was pretty long so over time the signal passed down the cable had deteriorated. Rather than replace. They fixed the connectors at either end and boosted the signal into the router.

In plain unobstructed sight of the Router I am now clocking 300 mbps and in the "worst room" it is routinely around 30

Either way it is far more than the <1 mbps speeds I was getting everywhere before. I feel somewhat vindicated in that there actually was a problem and that it wasnt something I could have known about.

So thankyou very much to all the virgin media bods that responded to this and arranged for a follow up visit. You managed to achieve what CS repeatedly failed to deliver : you listened and ultimately provided customer service.

I am happy with the speeds experienced throughout my property now - and so are the kids - and I may even consider upgrading and actually paying more considering I now know that it works

Thanks. 

Hi @JustACustomer,

Thank you for getting in touch with us via private message so that we could have a closer look over things. As we discussed there, a technician appointment has now been scheduled and booked.

I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the appointment publicly for security reasons, but you can check and manage/reschedule it if needed via your My Virgin Media online account.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Hi there!

Well a Virgin tech came around yesterday and tried to resolve my dodgy WiFi.

One of the first things the tech did was fit an attenuator to my optical input to my router, as apparently the signal was too strong.

Then followed some debugging, and eventually it was suggested a new router be fitted.

By this stage, the tech had been with me for over an our, and I could tell they were getting itchy feet to get onto the next appointment, which is understandable as there was a customer with a problem needing to be solved, but I think the tech left with unfinished business.

While the new router initially seemed to address the problem, I've run several speed checks since, and there still seems to be a persistent problem.

I just tried (several times) to run a speed test, (in the same room at my router, about 1m away from it) and the "My Network" part of the Virgin app couldn't detect the hub, despite my phone being connected to it via wifi.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Virgin Media Connect app, to see if that helped. (The wifi signal was lost half way through downloading the app, and then picked up again. Remember, I'm just 1m away from the router.) The app still can't find the hub, and I still have intermittent wifi. (See attached)

I tried a speed test using the Ookla app, and my phone wifi is managed a heady 0.33Mbps download speed.

I tried it again half anout or so later, still in the same place 1m from the router, and the phone wifi managed 33.7Mbps, which is perfectly acceptable.

I can live with that IF the wifi managed to hold it steady. However teh Virgin App still can't find my hub, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Weirdly, I can no longer use wifi calling on my phone, the option is ghosted out on my phone. Not sure why that is, but it was often pretty dodgy with my dodgy wifi, anyway. Starting wonder if my phone is a factor, since after the new router, my tablet is way faster and is reporting speeds of 100Mbps on wifi.

I'll leave it a bit longer to see if it settles down and the speed increases.

Screenshot_20221005-130020.pngScreenshot_20221005-131337-149.png

Screenshot_20221005-134435-731.png