cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Weak Wifi

RobAng
Tuning in

Ignore the frustrations with VM customer service. Just the facts...

I have never had problems before (long standing customer of 20+ years)

My TV and Broadband package is fine (MT350 and Hub 3)

In the past two months the kids have moaned of bad WiFi (I am not in a big house. All on one level. The VM App says the signal is excellent in all rooms)

It has got progressively worse. To the extent that my WiFI network has occasionally crashed completely (not enough signal to sustain the Alexa controlling the lights and the blink cameras) and I have even had trouble streaming tv programs.

Total first world problem. But I'm tearing my hair out as nothing has changed. Nothing new has been added. Nothing has been moved.... But suddenly my signal is weaker.

A VM engineer has been out and recommended the Virgin Pod to fill in a single blackspot he found on my property. Instead I went out and bought two tp link mesh extenders  (RE220s) to boost the signal. I figured it could do no harm. Still to no avail.

I set about naming the myriad of devices that connect to my network (identified almost all of them). Admittedly theres quite a few. But its never been an issue before - and this volume has not increased (I might have mentioned that NOTHING has changed). I have downloaded speed test apps and have seen that my new neighbours have had a BT WiFi system installed. Could this be causing my problems? I went into the Router and changed the auto channel select to a different channel to avoid confusion (its been a steep learning curve) but it's still weak....

Can they connect stuff to my network in error (i dont believe they can as they dont have my password). But any suggestions as to what I should look out for/what I can do?

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

If in modem mode go to 192.168.100.1 and click the Check Network Status link and post your hub stats here.

Also set up a BQM by visiting https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

will putting it in modem mode get rid of all the settings nd all the items that ive i'd (it was just a myriad of IP addresses)?

Stobbsy74
Superfast

Its possible that all the bandwidth of one of the wifi bands has run out. Like a road, wifi bands can get congested if too much traffic is on them. Its possible that devices have auto switched to say the 2.4g band. This is why a lot of newer 3rd party routers now come in tri-band to create additional roads to help carry more traffic.

If you havnt already done so, I would split the ssids of the router to 2.4g and 5g and connect manually devices to each band. I would also if and where possible connect devices near to the router via ethernet to reduce congestion.

If you have an android phone, you can download a wifi analyser app that can scan nearby wifi networks and can tell you which channels are congested and clear, so you can manually pick a channel that is clear and free from interference from neighbours wifi.

Modem mode will knock all your wifi off and will only be able to use ethernet.

JustACustomer
Tuning in

I'm having the very same problem. It's really frustrating as all the tests are focussed on simply testing the broadband connection, as my LAN connection to my PC is fine. But the wifi has suddenly got very weak.

Hi JustACustomer,

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your WiFi service. 

We would recommend taking a look at our WiFi support page here

Do you have our WiFi Pods installed?

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Nat.

No, I do not.

I have spoken to customer support and they tell me there is a problem with the Virgin system in my area that is due to be resolved on 16th Aug.

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me what a Wi-Fi pod is, please?

Regards,

Jac

I was also advised of problems in my area at one point. Did no good. At various points I have had differing advice. I have done it all. Switched it to modem mode. Had an engineer visit. Split my 2.5 ghz and 5 ghz traffic. Moved my router. Downloaded an app to check for neighbour congestion and moved the WiFi onto a free channel. Nothing did any good.

And during this time all that virgin media have done is to try and sell me a new higher package and then try to sell me Pods (useless - if your service is not working its not surprising your customer doesn't want to pay out more for a solution).

I bought tp link extenders (the equivalent of the pods). The issue is that the wifi consistently drops to 0.2-0.8 mps.

I have removed the extenders and removed a few devices (alexa, smart plugs etc) and we seem to be getting by with the lower speeds with smaller traffic.

After all this the problem is that I just don't get the WiFi speed to support what it was ably supporting before.

Something must have changed.

Freeview and a broadband package here I come. VM can keep it's poor service (and even poorer customer service). As soon as I am out of contract after all this I am gone

Hi @JustACustomer thanks for your reply.

I've ran further checks for you and there doesn't appear to be any problems on the network now at the time of writing, so it would appear the issues have cleared - how are things since your post, have the problems improved?

Our Intelligent Wifi Pods are pieces of equipment that improve the Wifi coverage within your home. For example, if you have rooms with low signal then you'd plug in our Wifi Pod in that room into a plug socket, and that room (and rooms nearby) would have vastly improved wifi signal!

The Wifi Pods are £5 per month (you can have up to 3), or they're free if you're on the 1GB or Volt bundle.

@RobAng I'm very sorry to hear of your repeated issues - to confirm, we unfortunately don't guarantee a Wifi speed as this can be influenced by many external factors such as the amounts of devices on your Wifi at one time, and the broadband tier you're subscribed to.

I've ran some checks and there are no issues on your service at the moment, and your power levels, upstream and downstream levels are all in specifications - how are things on a wired connection via ethernet?

Many thanks

Tom_W