cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Disconnection Issues - Wired & WiFi

Radar1968
On our wavelength

For the past 2 days at around 9am (09:04 & 09:20) I have received and email from my NAS (ethernet wired) to say it seems to have dropped off the network.  Uptime on the router and other devices seem fine both wired and wifi though I have no way of knowing at the exact time the issue happens as nothing other than the NAS has downtime reporting.

If I look at the Hub 3.0 router logs there is nothing happening at those times at all.  Here's the entire (MAC redacted) log for the past 3 days.

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 21.27.51.png

I have a wifi extender on my landing (TPLink RE450) whose logs report that its wifi connection to the router dies at exactly the same time as the NAS reports its problem.  So there's clearly something happening on the router rather than the NAS or extender.  Some of the wifi connected devices attach back to the Hub 3.0 rather than the extender as before so the Hub 3.0 clearly up and working before the extender gets itself sorted again.  The extender logs shows it takes approx 30 secs to reconnect back.

I have checked all the ethernet connections / power etc and found no fault and it has never happened before.  My Hub 3.0 is configured with 2 separate network SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz. I have added no new devices to the network or made any changes recently, either physical or otherwise.  The Hub 3.0 was restarted yesterday after the issue then.

I am assuming that either the Hub 3.0 has a fault and has a blip or perhaps there is something more serious happening.  I live on a new estate with large amount of new houses going up and people moving in all the time.  As Virgin are the only provider perhaps these issues are caused by work they are doing first thing in a morning?  This week there was a total service failure for a small while and now I come to think of it these issues have occurred in the days after this.

Here are the other logs from the Hub 3.0 as of now:

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 21.29.09.png

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 21.30.46.png

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 21.32.11.png

Any advice appreciated as although I am fairly IT literate with devices, wifi, ethernet etc the logs on the Hub 3.0 etc mean little to me.

I will see what tomorrow brings as well.  Hopefully its just a couple of spikes of some sort. Will report back.

Kind Regards

RADAR

35 REPLIES 35

Thanks for the reply. 
If there are no settings to change for the Hub 3 to work then I’ll set up a BQM sometime next week. 
So far I have had over 7 days without a collapse and noticed no performance or lag issues. Not that I did anyway. 

Spoke too soon. Another collapse. Again when I’m not in.

For now I’m going to have to accept the VM acknowledged outage and that they say it is over utilisation. This is despite me not seeing any lag, buffering or speed issues in my house, even during peak periods.  I will await an update at the end of May, take them up on the offer of an engineer visit and also do a BQM at some point.

However can someone please try and come up with a plausible explanation for why, given the above, the only indication of problems I see is the collapse of all wired and wireless connections on my hub. It’s momentary and if I didn’t have a NAS sending me an outage email then I wouldn’t notice. There is nothing in the hub log at the time the collapse occurs, so it doesn’t appear to notice and there no higher than normal errors in that log.  Nothing at the time of the collapse. Uptime of the hub remains as if nothings happened. The error only occurs every week or so and sometimes 8+ days apart, usually when I’m not there, so I’m not using it.  

VM refuse to swap the hub to rule this out as an issue. This is the first thing I would have done in this situation in my 25+ years in IT Support. 

Whenever I see over utilisation in threads no one has ever mentioned an issue like mine, only huge lag, buffering etc. 

Comments and suggestions welcome. BQM to follow at some point. 

Hi Radar1968, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Checking the details this end I can see the fault is still open. The reference for this is: F009733207 and the estimated fix time is currently showing as: 31 MAY 2022 09:00. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you. We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved. 

We understand this can be annoying but whilst this fault is open, we wouldn't be able to arrange an engineer or a replacement hub. Once this is resolved though, if you are still having issues, we'll then be able to help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Radar1968
On our wavelength

Thank you for the reply but it’s the same old pat I’ve been getting.

I’m not happy with the situation but what can I do?  You should not be needing to upgrade infrastructure that is less than 5 years old to accommodate services in my area when a) you are the ONLY provider available and b) its a new estate with a finite number of houses going online. You should also not be making existing customers suffer when you are daily installing new customers onto your network within plain sight of my front door. This is disrespectful to people in my situation and shows lack of planning. But again what can I do?

I AM happy to keep accepting the compensation until fixed. Also I have been offered an engineer visit in a DM which contradicts your reply. So who is right? You or your colleague?

The question I do want answering is why am I seeing a hub collapse (wired and wireless) for over utilisation (with no apparent errors recorded) when others in a similar situation see lag, dropouts, errors but never mention hub collapses?  That’s what I want to get to the bottom of. 

Kind Regards

RADAR

Hi @Radar1968,

I can appreciate this is frustrating and I can see there is an open complaint on our system that has been raised for you regarding this already. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to arrange for a technician to come out until the area issue has cleared- I do apologise for any confusion caused.

Any issues you are experiencing may be related to the area congestion however we can assess further on an individual basis once this fault has been resolved.

Kind regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs