cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop my hub broadcasting "Virgin Media"

rebus21
Joining in

Hi Zoie,

I have the same problem as the OP in that my VM hub 3.0 broadcasts what I believe is a hotspot signal even though I have the wifi turned off. I can find no way of turning the hotspot off, either in the hub settings or in my account on VM's website.

Please can you either turn it off for me or advise me how to do this? I really do not wish it to be on.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The setting has been restored at https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/wifi where it says WiFi Hotspots 

@Anonymous wrote:

The setting has been restored at https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/wifi where it says WiFi Hotspots 

Interesting they have now added this. 
However it is not the same thing at all.

A previous option read:

"Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi. Your Hub will no longer be part of the WiFi hotspot network, but you'll still be able to access Virgin Media WiFi hotspots whilst on the move."

Thanks to all for your comments so far.

I can confirm that I have tried the option suggested by cardiffman281, which appears to have resolved my issue. Having altered the setting, there is no longer a hotspot signal from my router. Whoopee! 

I must say that I looked hard in my account on the website before I posted, but was not able to find this. The link there to "wifi hotspot" or something such does not lead to it. It has been suggested to me that VM has deliberately made the setting hard to find, though of course there is no proof that this is the case and I am not suggesting that it is true.

Also whilst writing, I spent around one hour fruitlessly on the phone to VM trying to get this sorted out prior to posting here. It appears that the people they employ to answer the phone are not adequately trained, as all of the (several) people I spoke to appeared not to know that VM hubs broadcast a hotspot signal. Again, it has been suggested to me that this may not be by accident, etc. I do remember from a few years back that Virgin Mobile's call handlers were similarly useless and maybe they still just don't bother training them.

I am a new customer of VM and this has been a rather unfortunate start to our relationship but at least it's resolved now, fingers crossed. On the plus side, the broadband itself is faster than the landline variety (FTTC) which was the alternative, and also Plusnet (my ex-ISP) proved themselves to be less than effective when I moved house (I waited around a month for a connection that never materialised) so credit where credit is due.   

Thanks to cardiffman281 for the solution to my issue.

Chris

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hey Chris,

Welcome aboard the VM wagontrain, don't get me started on the Indian telephone support, sorry I mean non UK telephone support.

A lot of the phone staff (as in most companies) are now only taught to read from the script and may not think outside the box, or they may not have the necessary tools to deal with particular problems.

If you have any issues whatsoever try the forums first before calling VM - it's a community led forum with some really knowledgeable people( for example @Anonymous ), and the Forum Staff are top class too. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @rebus21, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Also, thanks for continuing to update the thread and confirm that you've resolved your own issue with the help of our amazing community members.  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R