Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Solid yellow light on home hub 3.0.

Hello

This Morning my broadband hub light turned yellow the internet seems fine but the speed is dropping a bit, I've turn the box on and off and hard reset the box but it always comes back to the yellow light. I've looked about and can't fine much on why it would be yellow.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Solid yellow light on home hub 3.0.

@paulasnowdon wrote:

Hello

This Morning my broadband hub light turned yellow the internet seems fine but the speed is dropping a bit, I've turn the box on and off and hard reset the box but it always comes back to the yellow light. I've looked about and can't fine much on why it would be yellow.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

...you sure its yellow?!?!?

It should be either white, red or green :

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean#hub3

Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In my opinion, the white does look yellowish from some directions.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

In my opinion, the white does look yellowish from some directions.

....yea, have to agree actually!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I came to the forum looking for an answer to this issue.

my hub 3 is in the same position as when installed nearly a year ago. Nothing else has changed. But my router is definitely showing a yellow light instead of the previous white light. It is very noticeable and I’m sure it is not because I’m looking from a different angle,It is visible and obvious from when I walk into the room at the doorway.

i believe from searching on the web that others have noticed this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mine has been the same from writing this help Q the light is 100% yellow. I've reset the hub and and factory reset it with out it getting any better run the online test which comes up with nothing. tired ring up for help but was on hold for 30 minz before I could even speak to someone. Surly there is some Virginmedia tech support in this foam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello paulasnowden

Thanks for raising this via our forum and welcome to the community.

It is possible for the light on the front of the Hub to have a yellow tint, as you have advised the speeds are okay with occasional drops. We always recommend regular reboots of the hub to ensure you're on the least congested channel and to refresh the connection. 

Do reboots usually resolve the drop in speeds?

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mine too. The thing is, Virgin don't manufacture this hub, so all they do is trot out the manufacturers spec sheet. Yellow light ? Nope, doesn't exist ! But it does. Yours is yellow. Mine is yellow. I'm an electronic engineer of more than 45 years experience right at the sharp end. I might be getting old, but I'm not stupid, and I know what a white LED looks like, and this isn't it. It used to be, but now it isn't. My Hub 3 stands on a high gloss white desk. The LED used to be the same brilliant cold white that the desk is. It is now most definitely yellow. About the only things I can come up with are that maybe the LED is ageing - I've seen white LEDs that run continuously turn a dingy yellow after a couple of years - or that there has been a software update to the hub (lord knows, it needs one...) that has triggered the LED to change to some otherwise unknown or maybe even erroneous colour indication.

Within the constraints that this is actually an extremely poor router that I keep meaning to replace when I get around to it, mine also seems to be working 'normally' even given that it is now indicating some unknown status …

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly, the other day I also thought that the light on the front of my V6 box didn't look 'quite right'. Now I come to look at it closer, it too is now a dingy yellow colour. It used to be as white as the LED on the front of my Apple TV box immediately above the V6. On the Virgin web page referring to "Understanding your V6 Box" the LED is referenced as showing either white (on - normal) or red (standby). The photograph also clearly shows the light showing as a bright white ...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I actually dread having to reboot my hub as it 'forgets' pretty much everything that I have customised into it with the strange exception of the fixed IP address list. Otherwise, the name has gone, the password has gone, the hub access password has gone, and the port forwarding list has gone. Plus it's sloooooowww to reboot and it takes another 15 minutes or so to put everything back in, and then to persuade all the items on the wifi network to talk to it again. So no. Unless you are Joe-Use-It-Out-Of-The-Box with only a couple of items on your network, it is not a good idea to reboot it regularly ...

I would hasten to add that the router never used to forget all its settings when it was new. This only started to occur after a major software update that was thrown at it a couple of years ago
0 Kudos