cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet Speed

sug7
Tuning in

Hi, recently joined virgin media after they installed fiber in our area. 

Having originally signed up for M500 we were given a hub 3. WiFi speeds test healthy between 450-550Mbps however ethernet is limited to 100-200Mbps. Which is a problem since I intend to use the service in modem mode with a WiFi mesh system connected via Ethernet. 

After joining o2 we became entitled to a free upgrade to Gigabit as part of the Volt offering.

As part of the upgrade the hub 3 was replaced with a hub 4, despite being hopeful this would solve the issue it unfortunately did not.

Ethernet clients are still restricted to 100-200Mbps internet access, as a test I even connected two laptops via Ethernet and ran a Speedtest between them on the Hub 4 LAN network, this comes back with a healthy 1Gbps result. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the Ethernet internet speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To establish what speed is being delivered to your Hub can you do this.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check the NIC card setting is at 1GB and not dropped to 100Mbps), with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
reinstall OS without AV
---------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not sure how OS would play into this considering I have tried a Windows 10, 11 and two different MAC OS machines, all present the same issue. 

All machines speed test good on wireless in router mode, connected via Ethernet the speed it limited across them all. 

Hi sug7,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some problems with the download speeds received across ethernet devices. Can you please confirm the below so we can get a better understanding of your set up?

• If all devices used have a gigabit network card
  • If you're using a Cat5e ethernet cable or above
  • If you have tried using different ethernet ports on the hub.

Granted, if you were using a Cat5 ethernet cable or below/anything below a gigabit network card, you'd be getting capped speeds at 100mbs however I thought it's best to double check.

Thanks

Beth

All the devices I tested with have gigabit network interfaces and were connected directly to the hub using CAT6 cables.

Thanks for coming back to us @sug7, can you please confirm what speeds you're currently getting over Wi-Fi on the 1Gig connection on the Hub 4?

If you're still subjected to a slower speed on the Ethernet cables, it may point to an issue with the cable(s) you're using.

The Wi-Fi connections you advise us of on the Hub 3.0 would be deemed to be very good - the impact seemed to be when the Ethernet cables were added..

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

The issue is not with the cables, as mentioned above using the same cables I’m able to achieve 1Gbps speed tests between two laptops connected to separate LAN ports on the router. 

The confirms the cables are capable of performing at 1Gbps, however when the same laptops, with the same cables try to speed test with the internet (both Speedtest and Samknows real speed) they are limited to 100-200Mbps. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To establish what speed is being delivered to your Hub can you do this.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check the NIC card setting is at 1GB and not dropped to 100Mbps), with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply, using safe mode with networking I was able to achieve a healthy 931/52Mbps result. 

I guess I now need to determine what in windows may be causing interference with the results.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!