cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection - M500 broadband and Deco TP-Link Deco E4

stonecoldrmw
Tuning in

Hi all, first time post!

So, I had my virgin set up installed on Saturday last week - 6 days ago. I'm on the M500 tariff so was expecting superfast internet speeds. I left it a couple of days to stabilise before resetting my mesh wifi system and setting it up with my virgin network.

Now, I have quicker internet than i did with Sky, however, it's still substantially lower than the minimum guaranteed advertised speed. I've done a speedtest every day for the past 3 days and I'm basically averaging about 55-68mb/s. Clearly lower than the 200 or so that's advertised.

I've changed the hub3 so that the wifi has been turned off and I'm using the mesh system purely to supply the wifi - i don't think thats the issue. The connection is fine. I think the issue lies with Virgin...

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good thinking! As I understand it that would work, because the Deco system operates as mix and match (at least with the 802.11ac units), and the "best" unit should always be the primary.  Because it is the ethernet ports on the E4 that are the limit not the wireless, you might even find that the secondary units bounce up to much more respectable speeds.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Nope, it's the E4.  TP-Link make many great products, but the E4 is a duffer as it only has 100 Mbps ports, so that's a choke point between the hub and the E4 in router mode.  If you can, send the E4 back, and buy at least an M4.

On further reflection, with a 500 Mbps line and a Deco E4, you should be seeing fairly consistent speeds of 100 Mbps.  I referred to it as a duffer, that's perhaps an overstatement because within its design parameters it'll work very well, just you won't ever get anything faster than 100 Mbps.  So if you're seeing 55-68, then you may have both a rubbish broadband connection, and if/when that gets fixed you'd hit the E4's 100 Mbps limit.

So I still reckon that an M4 or higher is the way to to (I max-out at 220 Mbps over wifi from an M4 on a nominal 200 Mbps connection, tech tests suggest it would go up to about 430), but plenty of other choice if you want it.  But you might want to check speeds with the hub in router mode for a day or two.  Rename the Hub's wifi to whatever your E4 mesh was called, and then whilst you won't get the performance of a mesh system, you won't need to reconnect all your devices but can do a better check on the broadband.

Assuming there's no ethernet connected device available, then to test speeds over wifi you need to do it on a decent quality device that is using a 5 GHz connection (turn off the devices 2.4 GHz if you can), and conduct the test in the same room as the router, but at least six feet from the hub (if you're too close speeds can sometimes drop because the signal strength is too high and the two devices cough and splutter).  Also, within the hub's wifi settings, set the 5 GHz channel width to 20/40/80, otherwise you're constraining 5 GHz speeds.

Now, VM won;t accept any wireless speed tests (stuck in the dark ages as they are), but if you're still getting erratic or lowish speeds with the hub in router mode then we can investigate the hub's configuration a bit more, and from that see what can be done.

I'm going to have a play with it tonight - can't do it today as need the internet for work!

Was thinking though - if I picked up a single Deco M4 and set that up as the main unit (primarily because it has the gigbit ports) shouldn't that solve the problem, then meaning I could just use the other Deco E4s as the satellite decos?

Good thinking! As I understand it that would work, because the Deco system operates as mix and match (at least with the 802.11ac units), and the "best" unit should always be the primary.  Because it is the ethernet ports on the E4 that are the limit not the wireless, you might even find that the secondary units bounce up to much more respectable speeds.

That's what I was thinking. 

I didn't even know that ethernet ports had a limit on them. But I think, I will just purchase the M4 single unit and then use the rest of the E4 system for the satellites around the home.

According to the specs on the TP link website for the E4 (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-e4/#specifications) the only restrictions that I can see are whether the devices being connected are at 2.4ghz or 5ghz connection. The rest of the solution should work as you say, because they are designed to be mixed and matched. Will purchase one and feedback!

So, bought the M4 and reset up my network. Speeds are a lot better across the house and definitely in the lounge (where the hub is) you get speeds in the 200mb range. however, it's still not the 4-500mb speeds promised in the guarantee. Without switching off all the decos and resetting the home hub, I just don't know if the issue is the hub or my network.

I may look to test it out but to be fair, the speeds I'm getting are suitable. The speed on the other side of the house is comfortably in the 150mb range even though it has a number of walls to pass through, so the mesh network is doing its job.

What are your wired speeds like?

Did you set the virgin hub to Modem Mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Belated reply, sorry.  My Deco M4 seemed to cap bandwidth to individual devices unless they were on the QoS list.  As the device allows 100-150 to non QoS devices that's not normally a problem, but if you want to have the max bandwidth at a particular device then check out the QoS settings in the Deco app.