Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Shub 3 as wifi extender

• I have a shub3 downstairs as main router. Could I use another sub3 that I have, to add wifi to upstairs office on floor above, or does the shub3 not allow that? If so how do I change the IP address for the second shub3 pls?

I cannot use plug in extenders as very old Victorian house with lots of different wiring! 

I know I can use a shub2ac as have used one in the attic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shub 3 as wifi extender

You’re only allowed one SH3 per household.

Any purchased elsewhere will be stolen goods as Virgin Media retain ownership of their equipment. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whilst not answering your question, I just wanted to chuck my two penn'orth in the hat, in regard of re-using ISP hubs as wireless access points.  I've played around with these, they can and do often work, they're free.....on the other hand they can be unreliable, and even if they are reliable, you've only getting the fairly skanky wireless of a cheap and nasty ISP router.  And I would guess that because you can't turn off the cable modem functionality of a DOCSIS hub, you'll be carrying a 5 watt energy penalty over a comparable Asus AP, as the VM modem searches hopelessly for an incoming RF signal, so around 40 kWh of energy a year if always on.  If that rather downbeat assumption is correct it mitigates most of the environmental benefits of reusing a hub?

Give it a go by all means, but I've come to the conclusion that the best way of permanently and reliably solving VM's rubbish wifi is to stick the hub in modem mode and buy a decent router or a wireless mesh system, depending on which meets your needs best.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks maybe tell people on ebay that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you purchased one already?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I cannot say for a hub 3, but I use a hub2ac as a free access point. Free as in when I received the hub3, the 2ac it replaced was no longer required.

I set the SSID to match that of the rest of the home wifi network (split for 2.4G/5G), turn off DHCP and set it to have an address within the home wifi networks static range.

Works perfectly in the garage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have a 2ac as wifi access point in the attic but, have bought another hub3 from ebay hoping I could do the same with that
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Send it back and ask for a refund.

You're currently in possession of stolen goods. 

0 Kudos