cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe latency issues constant for months

DoubleD1
On our wavelength

I moved in to this property in april and since then my internet has been unusable however ironically my job is dependent on it. I am constantly told that there are no known issues other than infrastructure upgrades in the area that will be completed in 2 - 5 days. It is 5 months later. There are never any workmen in the area. The engineer who came out told me there are no repairs being done and my neighbours who use virgin do not have the issues i do. This graph shows how severe my latency issues are. It is next to unusable and i am TIRED of fighting you to help me 

Screenshot_20211018-104001_Gallery.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

DoubleD1
On our wavelength

@andrew-g i am an online live streamer, another reason for my late replies when you guys are trying to help, sorry. i have lost out on a position to become an official partner, am losing all of my paid subs which keep me going financially and am on the brink of having to stop all together with nothing to fall back on

On the continuing presumption that this is an over-utilisation problem, there's no easy answers.

There is nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads or add extra capacity and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes/often that is not easily possible, or judged uneconomic or a lower priority than other areas with similar problems.   And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead as you've found and so have others.  I have repeatedly called out VM's practice on this, but to no avail.  The infuriating thing about this is the uncertainty - VM could be doing work that will fix the problem tomorrow, they could be lying through their teeth and the problem could remain unresolved for a couple of years.  Note that forum staff can't see anything other than the system fix date - they have no idea if the date has been serially missed before, nor if there are actual plans behind it.  They see these complaints often enough, I'd imagine they feel let down by their own company's behaviour here, and disappointed that they have to play along with the charade. 

Ordinarily the options are sit it out with VM (and keep complaining), or to find another ISP, and if need be force VM to release from contract without penalty through complaints and the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  Those don't help you much, so your other options are:

1) Investigate a 4G or 5G wireless router, ie a router that uses a data only SIM plan and connects via mobile phone networks.  This only works if you have an acceptable and reliable mobile network signal, but can give speeds of 200-300 Mbps.  Bear in mind I know these exist and can work, I've never used one and can't offer any recommendations.  5G routers are notably pricier than 4G, you'd need to do your research on what might work for you.

2) Seek a quote on FTTP on demand.  Speak to an ISP like AAISP, Aquiss or Zen Internet and they can explain the process, and get you a provisional estimate - if I recall correctly, the provisional estimate is free, there's a charge for the formal quote.  This will range from eye wateringly expensive to totally uneconomic.  Only you know how much income is at stake, and whether spending a lot of money to get FTTP is justified.

Of these, I suspect the second is likely to be too expensive.