cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Tv not connecting to WIFI

MrRobot
Tuning in

Hi All,

I purchased a 2019 model Samsung  4K Smart TV a few weeks ago, I haven’t been able to get a stable internet connect via WIFI. I have a HUB 3.0. 

The TV is situated in the bedroom and gets a good signal from the router.

At first it was impossible to get the TV connected to the WIFI, now the TV does connect and intermittently gave my internet access, however now it will not give me any internet access, the WIFI signal is full on the TV. I ran a Samsung Smart hub test and I get a message ‘ ISP BLOCKING TEST’. 

To make sure it’s not the TV I have connected the TV to my mobile phone personal HOTSPOT and it worked seamlessly for hours no dropped connection or lose of Personal Hotspot signal. 

No no other device is having this issue I. The house, I have called Samsung and they ran a few tests and made sure that the TV software up to date, they advised to get my ISP settings from my provider as it seems they are blocking the connection to the TV. 

I have spoke to Virgin Tech team and they have not given my any guidance or attempted to solve the issue and I get conned off to a third party who they suggest I contact.  

Can anyone help please?

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. 

Regards

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does it connect ok by Ethernet cable direct into the Hub?
20-30m runs of Cat5e/6 cable are cheap(<£5) and useful to have for testing purposes like this.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for the reply. 

I have some homeplugs and will check when heck when I get back and will update. 

Regards

A quick Google reveals some long and varied threads so try  :-

- manually setting dns on the TV network settings eg to 8.8.8.8

- reset of TV / smart hub / network settings 

-  check and update firmware manually by usb

- and also set all network settings manually to a fixed IP Address on the TV, and allocate the mac of the tv to the same IP in the router. Virgin was mentioned in this fix in a long thread. I have my Samsung TV set this way as it didnt work with my Asus router

- there was also one about downgrading firmware on netgear routers

Samsung devices often advertise themselves on the network as "local host", regardless of the device name, which many routers and networks don't expect from such a device

If the tv is 2.4 ghz wifi only then it might be getting stuck if both 2.4 and 5ghz share the same SSID

griffin
Alessandro Volta

Testing via your phone's 4G connection proves the TV
However I would double check the received signal strength using a downloadable wireless scanner

Try doing a Factory Reset on the Hub3, I had the same problem a few weeks ago, bearing in mind that the FR will set all passwords\passphrases\SSIDs back to their default values printed on the Hub.

Splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on the Hub might help as well.

I also experienced this same issue over the weekend (Bizarrely after using Virgin's Media Connect app for the first time) and now my TV won't connect to my router. It recognises my router but won't allow connection and either tells me to contact my ISP (Tried that, got told I need to pay to get it fixed) or try plugging it in via ethernet (Don't have a lead long enough). 

Tried calling Samsung which resulting in resetting my TV and that's still not done the trick, or by changing the DNS settings or connecting via hotspot. Next steps from them is to pay to get someone to look at it. 

How do you factory reset the Hub3? Stick a pin in the back of the router? I've tried that a bunch of times and it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

How do you rename the 2.4 and 5GHz bands? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet. I will also try creating a hotspot via my phone's 4G as I tried to create a hotspot via the wifi and that had the same result of not connecting. 

Hi StuOx,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. 

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened. 

You would factory reset a hub via the pin hole reset. You would need to hold the pin in for 30 seconds. 

To rename the bands you would need to sign into the hub itself. You can do this by connecting a laptop or computer to the hub via an Ethernet cable and then using the details on the hub stick you can sign into the hub.

^MArtin

Thanks Martin.

I can't get my laptop to connect to the wifi either at the moment but I'll try the ethernet cable into the router after trying the reset. I'll let you know how I get on. 

Cheers

Thank you. 

^Martin

Hi

I has to personally buy a Mesh WIFI system, this was the only way the TV would stay connected and now I don’t have an issue. 

Depending on the location of your router I would suggest spitting the WiFi into 2G and 5G, from what I remember the Samsung TV will only work with 2G, this did help me as connect to the tv, however the connection wouldn’t stay on for long. Now that I have purchased Mesh WIFi I have no problems and it’s helped improve my WIFI experience in general, Virgin HuB 3 is not a very good router. 

regards