cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows hourly speed test query

domestoz
Tuning in

I'm on a 1gig connection and have always used my Hub 4 in modem mode.

The last few months I have been running the Hub 4 in normal router mode.

Since doing this my thinkbroadband BQM has ping spikes of around 160ms every hour or so.

I have disconnected my devices but still get the ping spikes.  This was never happening when in modem mode, and me using my own router.

So I'm thinking it may be Samknows running an hourly speed test causing this, and I was just thinking if anyone knows how I would go about turning this off?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes thats what it is... I am not sure if it can be disabled - someone else will advise on that.

But why do you want the Hub in router mode? Surely any 3d party router you bought will be a quantum leap better than that in the Hub4

What make and model of router did you get?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've been running a Asus ROG GT-AX11000 for over a year.  The reason I've put the Hub4 into modem mode was I was having a problem with requiring a reboot every 2 or 3 weeks as we would lose wifi and ethernet access.

It's still plugged into the hub via ethernet and running in access point mode and now does not require any re-booting, and just works without a problem.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - thats fine then 🙂

But that Asus has a router from a Rolls Royce - whilst the Hub's is straight from a Reliant Robin. But if you are only going to the corner shop for a newspaper and bottle of milk then the Robin is fine 🙂

Should you ever ask it to do some real heavy lifting you can always just swap it over.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.