Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SIGNAL BOOSTERS

Can someone help me please? I live in a small 3 bed apartment. We have a living room area and then a long hall down to the 2 bedrooms (all on one floor) the WiFi dosent reach either of the rooms, it is connected to the kitchen. 

I can only get WiFi in one room of my house which is extremely small might I add and I have rang virgin to report the issue after speaking to the rudest advisor who put me on hold for 20 minutes before I had a manager hang up on me? Like who is training this people? Hanging up on a customer what kind of customer service is this?! The manager and advisor who  me that there’s no issue and if I keep thinking there is I have to pay an extra £3 every month for a booster?  

What am I paying my HBB bill for if I have to pay extra to have it in all the rooms of my house? Has anyone had this experience before? I could understand if I lived in a huge house but I live in a one floor 2 bedroom apartment. Seriously there is something wrong if virgin are going to penalise me this way? 

How can i speak to someone further about this I don’t even want to call again after I have just had a manager hang up on me?? I just want to pay my normal bill and have the WiFi work in my property is that so much to ask for???? 

Has anyone had had an experience like this / know how I can get a decent standard of customer service help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIGNAL BOOSTERS

Hi Caitlinseeley,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for your post. I'm really sorry that you've been having issues with your broadband service and have struggled to get this resolved.

In taking a look at the backend of your account, I can see that your downstream power levels are far too low. This will be affecting the speed and consistency of the service entering your property. I sincerely apologise that this wasn't identified when you spoke to our faults team previously, I have already fed this back for you.

In order to have this fault resolved, we'll need to schedule an engineer visit. I'll send you a private message to clear account security and arrange an appointment. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachel. 

Not sure if this is how your forum works but could I ask you please to check my system. We too experience bad WiFi connectivity around our home and experience broadband dropping out from time to time. I too have been hung up on by your tech help line. I am at the end of my tether and am about to cancel my contract with virgin. It has been the worst experience of my life. We are getting no where and no one is listening. Previous isp plusnet were brilliant we never had one issue. We thought we had gone to something better but just wish we could go back. There were problems on the day of fitting where the fitters had lost their moisture trap and then had problems blowing the fibre in. Makes you wonder what is going on down there. Is there a chance we could be checked over please before we pull the plug.

Sorry never been on forum before so I apologise if this is the wrong way to ask but our situations are similar. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lowey8,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out with your concerns. I'm sorry that you've also been experiencing intermittent broadband issues. We would usually recommend that you create your own thread if you've been unable to find the answers you need, but not to worry.

I've had a look at the backend of your services and haven't been able to identify any cause for concern with the service entering your property. However, there do seem to be a number of issues with your in-home wifi network.

Our diagnostic systems have identified a recent capacity issue on your 2.4GHz band. Have you had a large number of devices connected at once, or any devices with particularly heavy usage? It may be worth taking a look at our WiFi Wins for advice on improving the wireless signal around your property.

When you experience the dropouts you've mentioned, does this also affect any cabled connections? Do the lights on the front of your hub change when this happens?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thank you for your reply and looking into my usage. Yes the dropouts have affect the ethernet cabled connections to my lap top. TV lap top and phones could not connect to the Internet. Sky q settings said WiFi OK, no Internet connection contact your broadband supplier. 

I thought the hub was supposed to be intelligent and choose 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on the device. I think my wife's Samsung phone and correct me if I a wrong sky q can use the 5ghz channel.

We have three mobile phones, lap top very occasionally turned on, sky q and smart TV. Is this excessive for a household?? 

I would say that there would only ever be sky q on standby and possible two phones ever being used at once. 

We never had this with plus net, what is the difference between your hub and theirs? I would have thought virgins would be able to cope with more as it is fed via fibre not two copper landline cors.

I will check out the info as you suggest but if there is anything you can do we would really appreciate it.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lowey8,

It's no problem at all, apologies that we haven't yet got to the bottom of this for you. Thank you for taking a look at the WiFi Wins, you may find it's something really simple causing interference with your hub.

I wouldn't say that this is an excessive number of devices, but it would depend on what you're doing with each device at the time. However, the types of device you've mentioned aren't usually likely to have particularly high usage.

Intelligent WiFi is designed to connect your devices to the preferred band. However, this will only work to a certain extent. The 5GHz band has a much smaller range, so if your devices are further away from the hub the 2.4GHz is the only option. Similarly, your hub should automatically be connected to the least congested channel, but this feature can sometimes be fooled by heavy usage on a small number of devices. The channel with the fewest devices may actually be the most congested, and the channel with the most connected devices may be barely used. This means that the hub may connect you to the emptier channel which is actually providing a slower connection at the time.

There is no indication that your hub has been struggling to connect to the network, but the symptoms you describe would potentially indicate this. Could you confirm what the lights on the front of your hub do when you lose connection? It may be worth setting up a BQM to keep a log of any drops. You can then provide screenshots of the results or a live link so we can take a look at the past rolling 24 hours.

I'm afraid I couldn't advise the differences between our technology and Plusnet's, as we don't have their specs to hand. I'm sure you could find comparisons online if you wanted to research further though.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos