Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Routers

I have a Hub 3 and network extender and booster but the WiFi within the house is poor. Do I try a mesh system or a new router first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Routers

you'd firstly need to understand why the WIFI range is poor, is it due to the hardware, the location of it, the structure of the house, how busy the local wifi environment is etc etc.

you could put in a mesh or a new router, but you might not get better results.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You need to do some research, only you know ...

How good your broadband supply is,

Your requirements,

Your local environment,

Your budget.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 is sited up off the floor and unobstructed by anything. As far away from the tv as it can be with the supplied Ethernet cable. All as suggested by Virgin. Conventional 1930’s brick built house. Any device brought into the lounge with the router gets excellent connection over WiFi. The 2 bedrooms above the lounge get awful service with signals dropping out and sometimes staying out. The physical barrier between the router and the bedrooms above? Plaster ceiling, wooden joists and floorboards. Surely a WiFi network should cope with this, let alone the other poor areas  further away and the other side of brick walls?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

is the hub in a corner? (not an ideal position for a router/hub).

brick walls aren't a friend of WIFI signals.

how busy is the local environment for WIF networks? have you used a wifi scanner to see what is around and what channels they are using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@willsie01 wrote:

.... Surely a WiFi network should cope with this, let alone the other poor areas  further away and the other side of brick walls?

Bear in mind VM Hubs (and other suppliers') contain a modem + a router + wireless equipment and are "free" to you.  How much do you think VM are willing to pay their supplier for millions of these units.  Tear-down estimates I have seen say - £20 tops  (may be wrong of course!).  So with some people paying £300-400 for top quality gaming wireless routers and others £100+ for a router + £50-100 to add wireless access points and others ~£300 for a top of the range Mesh system - you have to ask yourself - why?

A very decent Mesh system that should work for you in your setting can be had for £100-150 - cheaper ones with fewer features will be £50-100.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

even better router
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX88U-Wireless-AX6000-AiMesh-Gigabit-AiProtection/dp/B07JHFWZKN/ref...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
even better router
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX88U-Wireless-AX6000-AiMesh-Gigabit-AiProtection/dp/B07JHFWZKN/ref...

With home routers you get to a point were better is not much better for the cost plus your wifi devices don't support the routers wifi and becomes a waste. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

my laptop does support WiFi6, i get a connected speed of 2.2Gbps via Wifi.
that router isn't just about Wifi6 though, the feature set is huge (hardware and software).

0 Kudos