Menu
JoshTheSlothKin
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Router/packet loss

In having problems with my current hub 3.0 router. It has a red light indicating a problem and I'm experiencing dropped speeds and packet loss. If i get a new router and switch my current hub 3.0 to modem mode will it fix my packet loss and drop speeds issue?

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router/packet loss

@JoshTheSlothKin wrote:

In having problems with my current hub 3.0 router. It has a red light indicating a problem and I'm experiencing dropped speeds and packet loss. If i get a new router and switch my current hub 3.0 to modem mode will it fix my packet loss and drop speeds issue?

It depends what the issue is.....

Can you log into the router and check the network status?  Hub not overheating?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router/packet loss

If you continue to see a red light after a pinhole reset, and you're not using modem mode (the "magenta" light looks red to my eye) then you need the hub replacing.  Sometimes it's just a faulty overheating sensor on the hub, in which case normal connection occurs.  If this applies to you, you still need a new hub, but it probably won't fix the packet loss.  If the red LED is actually denoting a hardware fault, replacing it may cure the problem.

At the moment it seems that VM's network is creaking under the strain of all the home working and schooling, that might be the cause of your packet loss.  Do the reset, report back.  the forum staff can get a replacement hub sent out if that's needed, and that avoids the misery of trying to deal with VM be telephone.  Also, setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos