cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset did not restore factory SSID (Hub 3)

barrylandy
On our wavelength

I lost WIFI service to all except iOS (windows and Android lost wifi connection). Reboot didnt help and so eventually I did the factory reset on a hub 3 router. The online help from VM said it would reset the SSID to the factory one.

The reset restored the WIFI service and did NOT reset the SSID whichwas left at my personal setting.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know why this is? (I am not complaining, mind you!).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Hero

Regardless of what the VM notes may say !   

Press and hold RESET for a full 60 seconds to trigger a factory reset.

Then just give the Hub some time to do the reset & to restart.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

Regardless of what the VM notes may say !   

Press and hold RESET for a full 60 seconds to trigger a factory reset.

Then just give the Hub some time to do the reset & to restart.

So I was following what the text notes told me to do and it said "hold reset for 20 seconds". So I assume that did par4t of the reset as following that the wifi worked (and still is)

Meanwhile the wifi has started to go intermittent again so I suspect I have to do a full reset (60 seconds) before trying again to get an human engineer's attention.

Does anyone know how to get out of the robotic loops to the point where there is an actual human being in voice contact? (I was promised a phone call but it never happened)

Hi barrylandy, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums, 

I have looked into this and everything is showing as green and there are no area outages. 

Can you confirm if the reset has now allows you to connect to the password on the hub?

Are you still having issues with this?

Kind regards, Chris.

Well, friday afternoon wifi access was possible (with my private SSID and password, not the system one) but intermittent (ie would spontaneously drop but I could reconnect)..

I was going to wait for a quiet time to do the 60 second reset to see if it made a differemce. While waiting I connected to 192.168.0.1 and looked at the wifi settings and it showed that the SSID and passord had been reset to system (matched the ones that came with the router). The oddity is that I could still connect my my private SSID. So I mentally shrugged and reset the router via the web interface so that it  has the SSID and password set to my private version , and I have had no problem since.

I am a little worried that I dont really believe I fixed anything, but will wait and see.

Hi there @barrylandy 

Thank you for popping back to us and we are so sorry this has been a little confusing.

Please do keep monitoring this for us and let us know how things are looking after a few days.  

WIFI service has gone again. I will do a factory reset again. Could a VM engineer respond please; twice in a month is too much.

Hi barrylandy

Sorry to hear the WiFi went down. 

Did you check the status page 👉 https://virg.in/service for any faults and/or called the Status number? 0800 561 0061. 

I have ran a check today and no issues are showing so i hope everything is resolved. If not, please can you post your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode), 
• Don't log in, click on 'router status' 
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Once I had done top 60 second full reset everything was fine. I did not think there was a general problem when I got the problem as my (android) hphone continued working.

I still think my (now pretty old) hub3 should be replaced.