Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Red light on virgin hub 3

For the last few days I have had a red light on my hub3, it is not overheated and I have tried resetting it which hasn’t helped so it appears that the router is faulty and I am concerned  that this is a safety issue. How do I go about getting it replaced.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light on virgin hub 3

Are you in Router Mode or Modem Mode ?

If in Router Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am in router mode and it is still red. Have not heard anything from virgin yet although I am now out of contract so may just leave and go to BT as I am really not getting what I pay for. Thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try a reset of the hub.  That sometimes fixes these, more commonly it doesn't and you'll need a replacement.  We can escalate that for the forum staff to pick up If the light's still red. 

In terms of "not getting what you're paying for", are there other problems?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I have already tried the reset option and that made no difference at all. My WiFi is dreadful and when I do a diagnostic check on my router it says “ your home network has a few problems “ and against WiFi connections it has a red  triangle with an exclamation mark in it but no suggestion as to how to put it right. I have signal and WiFi boosters but it is still rubbish and I do not get anywhere near the speed that I pay for with Virgin.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've flagged that for the forum staff to respond.  Might be tomorrow before they get round to it, depending on volumes they're dealing with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Helenhoward100 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have already tried the reset option and that made no difference at all. My WiFi is dreadful and when I do a diagnostic check on my router it says “ your home network has a few problems “ and against WiFi connections it has a red  triangle with an exclamation mark in it but no suggestion as to how to put it right. I have signal and WiFi boosters but it is still rubbish and I do not get anywhere near the speed that I pay for with Virgin.

Could be because of the light but could also be unrelated. The hub diagnostics always say there are Wi-Fi issues even with no devices connected.

Also worth noting the speeds that you “pay for” are for wired speeds and not wireless. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have still not heard from any forum staff, is there anyway that I can escalate this as the red light light is still on all the time ?

Many Thanks

Helen

0 Kudos