Menu
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 41 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rebooting router

Both of those links go to the same (live?) BQM chart, so I can't really comment on the day to day difference for your chosen dates (although 2 May was a Sunday, so would be "quiet"), but I've looked at other examples you've posted as well (eg 11/5), and those other examples and the live BQM consistently show an over-utilisation fault.  Either that, or they show a noise fault that is mysteriously absent from the small hours of the morning, and builds nicely through peak data use times - perhaps VM have bought cheap cables that only work properly at night? 

I'll grant you its nowhere near as bad as many other instances of over-utilisation, but that doesn't alter the fact of what is the underlying cause of the latency of the BQM.  As I said, if you're happy with that, then fine, but at the indicated levels VM won't invest to increase capacity, and probably won't even formally identify a utilisation issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 42 of 61
Flag for a moderator

OK over the last week SINCE the engineer came made a new tail and "fixed" a fault in the cabinet the service is still no better. I'm getting dropouts at odd times of the day/night literally just had one where the router/modem rebooted itself both pods took a little over 30mins to reconnect

63bb3ee5ff44d1e378c9b14ed76a51eb5dea4bbb-21-05-2021.png

for example on 10/5 the network log shows 

Spoiler
10/05/2021 07:40:37criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:40:29Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:40:25Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:40:25criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:40:24Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:40:24criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:36:49Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:36:45criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/05/2021 07:36:45Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

which on that day I had an outage looks like 60 mins later BUT if you consider that one is GMT other is BST then it is at that time (see below)

2a7df9b57e14b8ba7d1f94212822c189d3726979-10-05-2021.png

this is now getting annoying would it be possible for an engineer to come out swap to a better/ different modem bearing in mind that they have to also change two VM pods to the new mac address of the modem also would have to be when I'm not working (Sat Mon or Fridays) as I would also have to change the SSID & Password to the current one as this is what all my WiFi devices expect.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Calling @risc19 !  Would you care to share your experience with @martinlburke ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 44 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi @martinlburke,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue! 

I'm really sorry to see that you're experiencing this problem after a technician appointment. Have looked at your account and I cannot see any area faults. However, I have taken a look at your power levels and I can see that there are some issues there.

In order to arrange a technician for you, I will have to get you to confirm a few details. I will send you a Private Message, so please look out for a purple envelope at the top of the forum page.

I will be in touch soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
risc19
Well-informed
Message 45 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

Calling @risc19 !  Would you care to share your experience with @martinlburke ?

Happy to share the wealth.

First off I would say that your line has more than one problem.

Having not seen your hub stats I cant tell you if there is a SNR/power level issue, I suspect there is.

There is a good chance thats what's causing your 'blips'.

HOWEVER underneath all this it looks like you have the tell-tale signs of overutilization.

See you your latency is almost perfect during the early hours of the morning?

Then when people wake up, check emails, but mostly have zoom meetings the maximum latency goes sky high. Then of course the evenings are the worst by far.

Even if you get the blips sorted you are still going to have a connection that has been over sold. Its never going to improve unless virgin invest more ££££ to the infrastructure in your area.

I have been trying to have mine fixed for 5 months now, they only just admitted what the problem is.

However they are not going to fix it, as it is not bad enough to warrant the cost to them.

It has been and absolute 100% certifiable nightmare dealing with virgin, and I'm no better off than when I started.

The short answer is a new hub4 & a new cable & new splitters wont do it.

This leaves you only one option, change ISP.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Lagfest Modem Mode
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 46 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Last time this happend my router was at fault. And even pinhole wouldn't rest the router to factory which isn't ideal. This was a couple of years ago since I had a new router. 

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 47 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Right today I've had the router/modem reboot itself twice for no apparent reason whatsoever. Can someone at VM check my area and see if there was any outage or anything else happening today 22 may 

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 48 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Ok now 3rd time today 

Running a service test results in a fault 

Screenshot_20210522-213507_Chrome.jpg

What does this mean for me

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 49 of 61
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello martiniburke

Sorry to hear of the connection issues and problems with your Hub, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

I can see a previous post where my colleague has sent you a Private Message, did you receive this? You can check this using the purple envelope at the top right next to the community banner.

If not, let me know and I can resend one for you.

Rob

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 50 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Yes have contacted your colleague BUT not had a response back. Darn internet literally just gone down. At this rate I WILL need my unlimited data turned on my phone and some sort of compensation. Even an unlimited data dongle for me to use within the house when the broadband drops 

0 Kudos