cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Slow WiFi on iPhone

Hjsurk
Tuning in

Hello,

I've got the same issue since switching to Virgin Media with a Hub 3.
My partner has an iPhone Xs and recently we bought the latest iPad Air, but both devices experience slow speeds on WiFi.
I, on the other hand, am not experiencing any issues on other WiFi-connected devices such as the Google Pixel 5 (Android).

Resetting the Hub 3 or devices makes no difference and my Hub 3 is already using WPA2 only.

Hope to hear about a solution towards this problem. Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

lotharmat
Community elder
Can you try splitting the WiFi bands into the 2.4 and 5GHz bands?

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could try this as it may help

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Very good suggestion, but if you use VM pods you unfortunately cannot do this. Also try turning off smart/intelligent WiFi in the hub’s settings.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hello John,

I've already split the channels for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz because this was suggested at the start when I was having these issues.
The iDevices use the 5GHz range and the Hub 3 has been put on a channel without a lot of interference using the Wifi Analyzer app on Android.

Still this issue persists and I find it odd that only those devices (iphone/ipad) are affected.

Also all smart wifi options are already disabled. I don't use any VM pods.

Hi @Hjsurk,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you've been having these Wi-Fi issues lately. Are they ongoing today? If so, is it just the two Apple devices you mentioned earlier that have these Wi-Fi connection problems, or are other devices impacted too?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

It's just the two Apple devices that have slow WiFi.

Thanks

Thank you for that information Hjsurk. 

Can you confirm if the devices not having issues are using the 5ghz or the 2ghz connection?

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Both devices are connected to the 5GHz WiFi network.

Arjen