Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 connectiviry

@Floaty1970 wrote:
Hi. I have the same problem and have posted elsewhere. Does this indicate a ban of the i.p? If so, changing the public i.p address should sort it, shouldn't it?

@Floaty1970 I'll respond here rather than on the old thread from last year you posted on.

Yes it does suggest an IP ban and changing your public IP would sort it in the short term, but if something on your LAN triggered the ban in the first place then your new IP could get banned too.

Sony use services from a company called Akamai to protect their network along with many other big companies (e.g. Ikea & eBay), so an IP ban can be triggered by activity elsewhere.

You can review the status of your IP with Akamai here:

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

Worth a try to see if it reveals anything.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeharris wrote:

For the record nothing untoward was done so as to block the ip address. If you get blocked as an individual on playstation from what I have delved into. You get an email which blocks your account(which was never received)This was a total block on the ip address and nothing could be accessed via a pc,tablet,mobile phone,playstation(numerous different ones). 

@Mikeharris How do you know nothing untoward was done?  Akamai (Sony's security provider) don't block IPs for fun, so something untoward was detected on your previous IP, you just might not be aware of it.  A virus or malware could have triggered it and if the thing that triggered it is still present on your LAN then your new IP will get banned eventually.  It can be something as straightforward as running a Plex server that scrapes images from web sites, see an example of that HERE.

I share @apcyberax's concern that VM are issuing new hubs to circumvent a security block that was issued for a reason, without finding out the reason.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 13 of 41
Flag for a moderator

So if I am.not aware of if anything is done untoward how am I supposed to know what has been done?????????? If you google this topic you will see lots of incidents where people have been blocked and they dont know why. Apparently there is a 3rd party that are blocking ips?.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeharris wrote:

So if I am.not aware of if anything is done untoward how am I supposed to know what has been done?????????? If you google this topic you will see lots of incidents where people have been blocked and they dont know why. Apparently there is a 3rd party that are blocking ips?.

It might not be obvious or easy to find the cause, but IF the cause still exists you will get banned again.  Ultimately you are responsible for all the equipment running on your LAN and how it operates along with the safety and security of that equipment. Checking all devices for malware or viruses is a good place to start.

I'm well aware of what you get when you Google this topic as I have been looking into it for several years to help assist folks on this forum and out of curiosity as a fellow PSN user.  A search of the forum will also show that you are not alone and it has been discussed many times. The sticky nature of VM IP addresses probably makes VM users more susceptible to this issue than other ISP that regularly cycle their IPs between users.  The sticky IPs you get with VM can also be a good thing if you keep your nose clean 🙂

Yes, Akamai are a third party that Sony and many others pay to protect their network from DDOS attacks and other online abuse.  In the past they were not very transparent about their activity but they now provide a service that I linked to in the post to Floaty1970 above, which allows you to check if they have seen suspicious activity on an IP and what that activity was.  This can make it a lot easier to pinpoint the reason for a ban.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 41
Flag for a moderator

hello, I'm experiencing the same issue now for the past 4 days and was wondering if you ever managed to resolve this problem? 

please get back to me as soon as possible, kind of an emergency.

thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi netti,

Sorry to hear you're having problems connecting to the internet using your PS4.

Can you give us more details on what you're experiencing and whether there are any error messages?

What have you tried so far?

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 17 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

it is not a problem to connect to the internet at all. the problem is that i cannot log in to my ps4 account using my home wify. same problem i have when i try to log in lloyds bank, halifax and my sky account. if i use my mobile data or any other internet or someone else's wifi its working fine. i carry now my ps4 to my boyfriend to be able to play.

the problem is more likely that virgin has blocked me for some web sites or my ip address. i turned off the router over night for 7 hours to get a new ip address but this did not help. - resetting the router is not helping as well.

virgin media is NOT  trying to figure out the problem. they hang up the phone calling them. i think that is very rude. customer support of virgin is very bad.

only option left for me is leaving virgin and go to another provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 18 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I see, have you altered any of the hub settings at all netti? especially and sort of port blocking/forwarding? Seems strange this is happening not only on the Playstation network but the others you have mentioned.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 19 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Only way I found to resolve was to have a new router off virgin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 20 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hey did it work once you got the new router?

0 Kudos