cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding on Hub 3

Eseche
Joining in

Can anyone help with port forwarding on the Hub 3? I am happy with the equipment IP address, the  internal start and end port fields. Don't know what to do about the external start and end ports. As I write I am currently on hold with the support line and have been for the past 20 minutes. Help!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Have you disabled the firewall by any chance? As that completely breaks port forwarding on the HUB3.

Start and end port should be the same, as should internal and external port (unless you want to forward a whole range)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

@synthetic is correct. On the newest hub, you need to have the firewall enabled to use port forwarding.

To break out what they said, if you are trying to forward port 8080 to your pc you would set it up as port 8080 in all the port fields.

If you are trying to forward a range 8080 - 9090 you would put the in 8080 in the first and 9090 in the second. Then just duplicate that in the second set of ports.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

66 REPLIES 66

John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Eseche,

Welcome to the forum and we'll be happy to help with port forwarding.

Here's a helpful guide for port forwarding on any of our hubs that should get you set up. 

Let us know how you get on and if you need anything just drop us a message.

Cheers

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi,

Thanks for this, but too sketchy to be really helpful. Only 7 ports appear to be open on this hub and all others appear to be locked down and resisting forwarding.  Currently running a scan from 1 to 8000; its now at 2282 and not a single one has responded so far. Gadget Rescue have spent 5 hours on it so far today and they are still scratching their heads! This has become a mission for me because I don't understand how a new hub could be released with a non-functioning version of a utility that seemed to work perfectly in earlier versions. I want to get to the point where Virgin just admit this is the situation and tell us candidly that a firmware update will be released to fix it. As it is, I keep getting told we've configured it, it should now work and if it doesn't you'll need to go to Gadget Rescue. They see no distinction between work and outcome. Spending hours on fixing a hub is a testimony to commitment but if at the end of it, the unit does not work, then the customer needs still have not been met.

Have you disabled the firewall by any chance? As that completely breaks port forwarding on the HUB3.

Start and end port should be the same, as should internal and external port (unless you want to forward a whole range)

@synthetic is correct. On the newest hub, you need to have the firewall enabled to use port forwarding.

To break out what they said, if you are trying to forward port 8080 to your pc you would set it up as port 8080 in all the port fields.

If you are trying to forward a range 8080 - 9090 you would put the in 8080 in the first and 9090 in the second. Then just duplicate that in the second set of ports.

Thanks for this. Haven't touched the firewall at all.  We are at an impasse at the moment since my last session with Gadget Rescue.  Planning to get back in touch with them when I can set aside another five hours. Basically, they were not able to open the ports.

@Eseche wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for this, but too sketchy to be really helpful. Only 7 ports appear to be open on this hub and all others appear to be locked down and resisting forwarding.  Currently running a scan from 1 to 8000; its now at 2282 and not a single one has responded so far. Gadget Rescue have spent 5 hours on it so far today and they are still scratching their heads! This has become a mission for me because I don't understand how a new hub could be released with a non-functioning version of a utility that seemed to work perfectly in earlier versions. I want to get to the point where Virgin just admit this is the situation and tell us candidly that a firmware update will be released to fix it. As it is, I keep getting told we've configured it, it should now work and if it doesn't you'll need to go to Gadget Rescue. They see no distinction between work and outcome. Spending hours on fixing a hub is a testimony to commitment but if at the end of it, the unit does not work, then the customer needs still have not been met.

While port forwarding on the SH3 is a painful experience with UPnP not working, this is actually expected behaviour.

A forwarded port will only respond if it is being used (So port 465 for SSL Encrypted SMTP etc), if there is nothing using the port, it will report as closed. What ports are you needing to use and for what purpose? If anything needs to use UPnP then the SH3 simply does not work at this time and yes, new Firmware is needed.

If it helps, this is what my settings look like for my RDP port forward rule. Obviously you'll need to set a different port for whatever you're trying to forward.

NeVtCAX

Hi,

That's exactly the approach I have used.  How did you verify the ports were open?

Thanks

Trying to forward 80,443,1755 and 8000 as required by the McIntosh music server trying to get CD details from the Gracenote server. Got Gadget Rescue to redo the whole thing but no joy. We both used an online tool to check the port had been opened and the results were negative.