Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port 161 Hub 3

Hi I wonder if anyone could help me ?

I recently received a SNMP vulnerability letter from Virgin. I therefore logged into the router and looked at blocking port 161, unfortunately I wasn’t able to do so because the enable & delete tick box wasn’t visible ? I’ve tried logging off and on again but to no avail. 

how would I block this port without being able to delete the 161 protocol ? 

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port 161 Hub 3

all incoming ports are blocked by default unless you specifically open it.
all outgoing connections are open and you can't block specific outgoing ports.

you need to investigate what on your network is initiating the traffic. you have something installed somewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

6AB3F6D7-0EA1-4BFA-8482-A355239693CD.png

 I’m trying to follow the advice from Virgin shown above in the image ?? Still not able to block UDP port 161 as I cannot edit because of the above issue ?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi I've recently had a SNMP vulnerability letter after I installed a WiFi extender which is used for a internet connection for my CCTV system.
I've tried logging into my router and following the guidelines from Virgin shown above.
The problem I've got is, I can't un-tick UDP port 161 as there's no tick box visible ?? Please help ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

the advice isn't telling you to block UDP 161, it's telling you to remove any rules that have specifically opened it. if it's not listed then you haven't got the port open.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gallagherelec,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. @spgray is correct, if you have a hub 3, which I'm assuming based on the title, the top half of the instruction applies to you. The bottom half is for the Hub 1 or Hub 2. If you have anything set up under Port Forwarding and/or Port Triggering, the letter is advising you to remove those.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos