Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor speed on laptop

I am getting very poor speeds on my laptop, yet my desktop is really fast and both are running from the same router. I have disconnected and re-connected the router but it doesn't seem to be getting and faster on the laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speed on laptop

then the problem is your laptop. Are both on wireless using the same spec cards

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. Would it help if I used an ethernet cable for the laptop but that would mean I could only use it near the router!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes wired will always be better then wifi

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the laptop is failry new it should work reasonably well over wifi.  Is it a win 10 laptop ?   if it has a microsoft opperating system on it try and do an  Windows Update.  However if its also a well known manufacturers brand then usually they have updates as well. These updates can include the wifi and ethernet  drivers which are best kept updated.

The ethernet cable must be quite short if you have to stay close to the Hub. Its possible to obtain longer RJ45 Ethermet cables. You can get them from Ebay,  but remember you get what you pay for. A cat 5 or 5e cable should suffice in a domestic enviornment.  Cat 6 cable is marketly "stiffer" and is harder to hide when you have 90 degree bends to go round..

Go for the updates first as that costs nothing, if that still doent work as expected, you can try a longer Cat5 Cat5e or ever Cat6 cable.

Regards

KK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thats not how wifi works. You can have the best wifi in the world but if you are in a busy area or interferance you can still have no wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Point Taken, but i have never see no WiFi and neither does this  user. He is complaining of slow throughput. He could be on the 5Ghz band  or on the 2.4Ghz

band we just dont know that. Nor do we know if there is  "wifi" bands are over utailsed, as we dont have that information. I offered a course of action that aligns with yours but takes old software/firmware into account as well.

regards

kk

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. Seems to be a bit better this morning. There is a a Windows 10 update download shown, but each time I try it, it fails. Luckily I do most internet transactions on my HP All in One desktop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've seen no wifi. Had a nightmare in place I used to work. 600+ wireless networks in the area.
We had times we couldn't connect to 2.4ghz at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

An option with downloads is to use only the internet directly, and/or another local computer on the same/network.

I have had an occasion where my HP tried to download updates via an Acer and failed, because the updates passed on were Acer specific updates.

The other thing is applying updates "out of hours" and that is worth considering.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx

Just in case it is a driver issue.

All is Calm
0 Kudos