cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss for 2 years no improvement

jinsakaisama
Tuning in

Hello I have been experiencing packet loss for almost 2 years it started just after or during CoVid and it’s stuck ever since. I have been having ping spikes on and off always during the day and at randoms time up to 3am. I have had more than a number of engineers come look at my house and equipment change wires/adapters I changed my Ethernet cable but problem still persisted. However I did just finally have enough and contacted a friend that’s good with finding problems like these and he told me to use pingplotter and I have identified where my packet loss is coming from and which IP address I was wondering if I am able to post it here on forums without risking any IP address of my own leaked or so? I did pings from YouTube and Twitter on pingplotter and whenever I experience packet loss/ping spikes in gsme I quickly look into pingplotter and it shows where the spikes and packet loss is coming from this may be help for a few other people that are experiencing this problem as it was really hard to pinpoint for a really long time but this may be of some help please advice if I can post my pingplotter results. Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ifsana,

Thank you so much for providing me with the additional few days of data via PM. I've sent an email to your local Area Field Manager for some further support on this to see what we can do to get things back to normal again.

Unfortunately, I can't give an exact timeframe on a response as the Area Field Manager also does engineering work so will not have access to their emails consistently. I'll reach out once I've had a response. Feel free to pop me any further updates or changes 🙂

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just make sure your IP is redacted from anything you post up.

If you do it as a text-file, you should be able to do a global "find and replace" with, say, [my_ip]

VM forum staff can likely identify your IP from your login details anyway.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So here's images file of the packet loss i was experiencing. i did tests on youtube and google both came with same results i ran ping test while i was gaming and whenever i experienced really high ping randomly for no reason at completely random times even 3am i check my pingplotter to see exactly where is the lag coming from and was shown this. Again i have all my equipment replace and reset, cables change, outside cabin checked over a number of times. This has been an on going battle for 2 years. As you can see where there is PL% column that's exactly where the problem is coming from. 

plimage1.pngpl2.pngpl3.png

Hi there @jinsakaisama, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you have been having issues with packet loss for the last 2 years, I can certainly understand the frustration with this. Are you seeing this issue on both wired and wireless connections?

Also I can see you have advised what the team have helped with already, just to confirm have the team replaced the outside cable or just checked for issues on it?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

They have checked but my problems have been shown on the images I have sent all the packet loss is coming from certain area within Virgin media IP is shown within the image. This problem persist with wired or wireless connection. 

HI jinsakaisama, 

I am happy to look at this in a bit more detail if you like and see if we can arrange a Technician to attend.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Okay, but a technician doesn’t need to attend my house I have had like more than 5 technicians sent to my house. The problem isn’t at my house. All haven’t found problem at my house. 

please refer to the images i posted it shows where the lag and ping spikes are coming from each node this is done by wired connection too...

Still waiting on any type of answer or help? 😕 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jinsakaisama

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Ideally we would like a tech to come and check this so we can investigate further if they still cannot find any issues or suggestions either, we can communicate with the area field manager to find the best course of action.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs