Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing Broadband Issue

The issue occurred on 17/12/2019. To explain in more detail Thames water cut internet cable in my street, not going to be fixed until 5th February. .

This meant that I have No internet (which I depend on for my source of income) and no TV. I Will have had no internet for almost 2 months by the time it is fixed and will have paid £60 for internet I have used for 1 week. I have used all 12gb of my Virgin Mobile data because we had no internet on NYE and wanted to have a good time with music.

Is it possible to Send out a 4G router, or 2 since we have 4 people in the house unable to use WiFi, (I know virgin media sells one of these) with an unlimited data package until the issue is resolved.

ALTERNATIVELY - refund all my data used, give me unlimited data on my virgin mobile account until the cable is repaired so the house can somewhat have access to the internet. And then also reimburse me for the 2 months bill I have paid without using the internet.

I value my time at £15/hour, based on what I get paid. This issue has already taken up 2 hours on telephones as well as having to stay in the house for hours waiting for an engineer to arrive.

Yours faithfully,

James Carr

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing Broadband Issue

Presuming you reported the fault on the day it occured, you could potentially be owed up to £400 as part of the auto compensation scheme.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

This part of the page might be of interest to you.

"Providers can put a cap on the amount of compensation they pay out. After 30 days of an automatic compensation payment occurring, they can serve a cease notice to let you know that automatic compensation payments would stop after a further 30 days.

After this, your provider needs to take reasonable steps to provide a suitable alternative service. If they are not able to give you a suitable alternative, you will still be entitled to automatic compensation under the scheme."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing Broadband Issue

I didn’t report it on the day it occurred, because unfortunately it wasn’t me that noticed the fault ( I had left for my parents hour for Christmas). My housemate who noticed it left the next day so we hoped it would fix itself given time. When I returned on Friday 27th December I reported the issue, and was told the internet was just down in my area as of 7am on 27th - despite me trying to explain we were having issues before that. I was told nothing could be done until the issue was resolved in my area. It was fixed on the 30th December and we were still having issues, so I called again and got an engineer sent out. 

0 Kudos