Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Noisy phone line

The line sounds like someone crushing a paper bag and is so loud that conversation is impossible. I've disconnected the extension phones and plugged in single phone but there is no change. It doesn't seem to be the home side of the box. It's been like this for several weeks. Help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy phone line

Hi,

Sounds like there may be some damage on the line or some old/corroded connection,Please PM me your account details; Account number, account holders name, 1st line of address, Site ID/Area code. To PM me go to this link https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/729024 and ill be happy to look in to it for you. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. Line now repaired by the engineer. The connection in the roadside box was rusted and flaky. Looking at the contents of the box, while the internet connections are substantial, rubber coated and screwed in, the phone lines are shambolic, hanging loose in the box and falling to the (wet) ground. Looks like it needs a complete rebuild! But thanks to the engineer at least my connections are working!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Before long those old phone wires will be abandoned. Virgin and every other provider will be going over to VOIP by 2022.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We had a noisy phone line a few years back. I thought it was an issue with the cordless phone set I had and replaced it, only to find it was the Virgin line.

Engineer came out, checked line, went off to box and then came back. He said what you'd said above about rusty connections and that regular maintenance and "BAU" type activities were falling by the side. They would find a line that wasn't "noisy" in the box and switch it with yours to cure. Then it was down to the next person who got that line to fix again.

Eventually, when the box fell apart (as the one down the road from me is nigh on doing), it would have to be replaced

0 Kudos