cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No WiFi

johnsoho
Tuning in

So let me start with the backstory. I had a router that started to go wrong after I got a WiFi pod and ended up with no WiFi. It took a week for an engineer to come out and eventually replace the hub as it was faulty. Fast forward 3-4 months, after renewing my contract, I got a new pod. I plug this pod today and suddenly my WiFi goes to pot. I have restarted the hub, reset it etc. no luck. I phone up to be told to wait 24h. All wired connections are fine, but absolutely no WiFi which is the 2nd time in less than half a year I am dealing with the same issue.

I have a friend in the industry who said they just recycle old routers when replacing them. This is simply unacceptable to have the same issue in less than 6 months when paying £40 a month.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Common theme here seems to be plug in the pod and kybosh the wifi.

I would suggest removing the pod and stick it in a drawer for the time being and then pinhole reset the Hub as below and see if it comes back to life.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it. report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tried that, but I get absolutely no signal in the downstairs living room without the pod. Seems to improve with the pod plugged in (after it finally connected this morning) but need to wait and see if it resolves over the next 24h. Going to play around with the pod in and out but it was working fine until yesterday morning. If no solution is found may be time to cut losses and move on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
TBH... you could do as I (and many others on here) do - which is to remove VM and its low grade equipment from the "providing wifi" equation completely - by sticking the Hub into modem mode and using your own better quality router and wireless equipment.

I know that will cost money - but £50-150 will sort it forever for most average users in an average property - and you will own the equipment and can continue to use it with any other ISP you move to in the future.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Well, now I have lost the wired internet but WiFi remains. Think i'm better off moving to another provider rather than dishing out another £50-150 as the service is just so bad.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @johnsoho,

Welcome back, thanks for the update.

I can see on our system that everything is in spec, how is it for you at the moment?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide