Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No WIFI when laptop comes out of hibernation.

Hi

I trying to track down a really annoying issue. In the last week, every time I have restored my laptop from it's hibernated state,  it is not getting an IP address.  I am having to reboot before I get my IP address. 

Last week, I seem to have a similar issue but this time the laptop shows it was connecting to my my wifi router but there was DNS / IP address. I wonder if there is anything affecting the wifi service in my area in Nottingham. Indeed, I spotted no less than 3 Virgin Media vans packed down my road, so may be that was just a coincidence. 

Now this could be due the latest WIndows 10 update, again this was last week.  Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No WIFI when laptop comes out of hibernation.

Hello

Your wifi would not be affected by anything that VM were doing in your street, I know that some laptops especially with the latest version of Windows 10 show this issue. One way to be sure when this happens is to turn the wifi off on the laptop and then back on, that may resolve the issue, I believe that when it wakes from hibernation the wireless card doesn't get reset.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for the update,  yes that makes sense. Do you know if  Microsoft Windows support are aware of the issue? If not I could raise a support request.

Coincidentally,  tonight I noticed that somebody on one of the local neighbour forums has posted an issue re VM connectivity  and has been told this being resolved. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just done quick search and found this all be it 2 years old https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-fails-to-automatically-...

Have a look there is some troubleshooting there, seems like affects some cards and after an update some cards don't like it, look further into it, it looks like a driver issue.

If the vans were around and any issues would have killed all of the internet, it wouldn't just affect wireless.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think you maybe right. My WiFi driver is quite old. Indeed, I have reported my issues to Gigabyte, to see if there is a future update. Other tests, i can do are:

• Connecting to the WiFi at work following the hibernation state. If this is fine then, there could be a DCHP issue with VM, given it will be a different provider. 
  • Connecting to a tethered phone (with WiFi disabled) 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi westerdaled,

Apart from your laptop, are you able to connect to your home WiFi using other devices?

Yes please test your laptop using a different network to see if the same issue pop up and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos