cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear modem recommendation?

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

Hi guys, 

Can you recommend a Netgear modem that will work hand-in-hand with Gig1 and my Netgear AX6000 mesh system?

Would the modem have to connect to my current Hub 4 and then to the Mesh? or can I get rid of the Hub 4?

ps. I've just joined Gig1 and was furious Virgin have fobbed me off with their now 'old' Hub 4 with Hub 5 being rolled out! I may just phone them tomorrow and demand the latest equipment.

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I can see that system already contains a router. You cannot get rid of the VM hub, but you can put it into modem mode. Suggest you have a good read of the systems manual. Instructions below on how to put hub into modem mode.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

Thanks mate.

I already have my Mesh system connected.

I just wanted to maximise the performance as much as possible and wondered if I could do just that through a 3rd party router/modem. 

jem101
Superstar

You absolutely cannot use your own modem, only VM supplied equipment can be connected directly to their infrastructure. As you already have a router and (presumably) the hub in modem mode, that’s about as good as you can get it.

Now the hub 5 isn’t really being ‘rolled out’ at all right now, it’s on a sort of invited trial, sorry, ‘soft launch’ basis at the moment. You could try calling up, whoever you speak to might even promise to send one, but it is far more likely that you will be refused point blank or if they do offer to send you one, it will just be a ‘get the annoying caller off the phone’ fob off.

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.