cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

HI Katie

Apologies I wasn't trying to "jump the queue" but trying to give as much information as possible.
AS stated I will try a reboot tonight after finishing work but the devices didn't connect even when the new router was initially connected.

As for wired connections, what is the limit?

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @solanoah

Pop back after around 24/48 hours with the link or screenshot and we can see what is happening. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @roblye - we always appreciate as much information as possible so it is always welcomed. 

Let us know when you've done the reboot and we can check again for you. 

With the devices that are having issues (MacBook, Amazon Fire Box (not fire stick), Amazon Blink cctv and PS4) - how are you trying, both wired and WiFi? What happens when you try and connect. 

Have you attempted disconnecting the other devices and connecting these up one at a time? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Hi
I ill reboot a bit later after I finish working. . . . I have tried to connect both wired and wifi with the PS4. . . the Blink is only wifi. . . . but as I said, it appears that the router cannot automatically allocate IP addresses via DHCP (thats what I looked up as I don't understand it). .

Once I have re-booted I will see what happens but really it all worked before until about three weeks ago when it started dropping devices, and even with the new router/hub, I cannot get everything back again.

Sorry to hear this solanoah

When you've rebooted.  Do you mean you've switched it off/on at the power?  Or do you mean you've done a Pin Hole Reset?  Which is essentially taking your hub back to factory settings.

Regards

Lee_R

Power off/on

Can I ask you then to please try the Pin Hole Reset at a convenient time for you?  As it does essentially take your hub back to factory settings, I do need to pre-advise you would need to re-connect your devices to the WiFi.

Regards

Lee_R 

Come on guys,

I am not convinced that that is the solution because all the settings are exactly as it was delivered apart from changing the Wi-fi names.

Every other thing is the same!

Hi solanoah,

Thank you for coming back to us, a pin reset can resolve a lot of issues including software problems, please push a pin in the reset hole at the back of the router while the router is on, hold in for a timed 1 minute, please do not reboot during or after and allow around 10 minutes to settle down afterwards.

Regards

Paul.