cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

Engineer came out on Tuesday, he advised it was the power levels through the cable in the wall? He has installed a wide band equalizer onto the back of the router and then did some work on the outside of the house but I am not sure what.

Internet has been perfect since. 

This service must only be available to new customers. 20 year customers don’t get this....

I text a number I found on Twitter, which meant I didn't have to wait on hold for an agent. 07533 051809 and they arranged the engineer. 

Thanks pal.

will give that a go

was hoping the virgin admin on this thread would do something. 🤔 

roblye
Joining in

Hi All

We have been having similar problems for the last couple of weeks. 

Our setup comprises of a VM 2 hub with 200Mbps connection, from which I have a single lead (bottom socket), connected to a TP link 8 way switch connected to this is (by cable), is a tv, PS4, Sonos Beam, Apple tv, VM V6 box and a link to a TP Homeplug.

Upstairs the remote Homeplug is connected directly to a Apple TimeCapsule from which there are hard wired connections to an iMac and and my work Windows laptop. We also have 3 MacBooks, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and a Blink home CCTV connecting wirelessly.

This was all working fine, no problems, no dropouts but a weak wifi signal in my study. Due to having been working from home for the last few months and no foreseeable return, I thought I would try to improve my wifi upstairs in my study by adding a TP-Link mesh system. 

Installed it, disabled wifi on the VM router, but found it was a bit flakey with the Mesh keep resetting itself so removed it and went back to what we had, including reenabling the wifi.

Since then the wifi drops out, shows connected but no internet, the wired connection, especially to the PS4 fails to connect, today it failed to connect my hoemplug and hence my work laptop, all this means is we have to reset a couple of times a day.

The most common fault/indiction/error message seems to be a with IP address's being "self assigned"  (which I looked up as I am not an IT engineer), it seems that the hub is failing to allocate IP addresses. Would this be the case?

Would doing a factory reset solve this or is it something more fundamental? 

I would change ISP provider but no one else does high speed fibre by me.

Joined VM about 3months ago. I have done "exactly" the same thing as you and still the same result. This is really bad.

Hey, so as far as I can tell, the problem lies with the Virgin Hub. It just seems to be really unstable and unpredictable. Long story short, after trying all kinds of settings on my Netgear R7000 (Virgin Hub in modem mode and Netgear router as the main router for all clients wired and WiFi), it was the VM Hub that was the issue. It seems very hit and miss when you go from router mode to modem mode. Sometimes it works no problem, other times it totally messed up and has to be factory reset. I think I just got lucky that after several factory resets and applying modem mode....it has been working without fault for a few months now! I did try it without my router and the coverage was terrible, and it kept stopping anything connecting on WiFi constantly. The VM Hub in my opinion is certainly not a capable router if you have multiple clients connecting wirelessly like Echos and cameras, phones, TV's, game consoles etc. It just can't handle it. If you have wired connections it's ok, but for a fully "connected" home, get a proper router and use modem mode on the hub. Even this may take a bit of setting up to get it running stable, but it's way better than using the VM Hub as a main router. 

Just an update.

After talking to Virgin on the phone, eventually, they sent me a new superhub 3 to install.

Set that up and connected everything back as previously, now all the wired connections work from the switch and via the home plugs, iPhones and iPads connect, 2 MacBooks connect, all three printers connect,

BUT, one MacBook wont connect, Amazon Fire Box (not fire stick) wont connect, Amazon Blink cctv module wont connect, PS4 only connects occasionally via wifi or cable . . . . . from what I can see, none of these can obtain an IP address, (MacBook doing the old 'self assigned" IP address thing) . . will try the 'good old reboot' over the weekend but didn't want to lose the wired connection to my work pc during this week.

Anyone have any idea whatsoever why this should occur?   and I don't mean telling me the VM SH is c**p as everything was working fine until recently. 

I am thinking like some other posts that there is a signal or interference problem, (doing a scan for wifi networks throws up at least a dozen on my mobile that are close by)

solanoah
Tuning in

i am having the same issue and have done everything mentioned on this forum.

What's virgin's customer service number? an engineer may be needed.

I am still having the same problem that I have had for over a year. Simply that my internet connection drops at least daily - sometimes up to 5 times a day.

Like lots of others I am working from home at the moment so have the laptop hardwired into the Superhub 3. Even doing that, I can have a Teams call drop mid call etc.

Yesterday I was fed up with this so contacted VM Technical and they told me that there was a fault in the area. Seems like the fault has lasted > 12 months to me. Dreadful.