Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Internet Connection keeps dropping whenever I start copying large files

@parkerhelston wrote:

nothing has changed in the locations of network equipment in all that time.  

Do you live in a detached house 50m from any neighbours?  If not, I would wager that your wifi environment has changed substantially - as it does all the time as more people get online and use wifi around you - and in the last couple of months that will have increased substantially around you.  And the "budget" VM Hub is struggling in that new environment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My nearest neighbours have been in for a long time and I am not aware on either side that they have taken new services.  However it is a possibility.  SH2s are supposed to choose the best channels to use to stay away from competing nearby traffic on same channel so wouldn't my power cycling cause the SH2 to look again and choose optimal channels?  Or is is dumb enough to stick to the ones it was on before regardless.

Would it be a good idea for me to manually sort choosing channels that are radically different to the ones my router is currently using - to see if it makes any difference.  I don't suppose there are any human interpretable apps for phones to see what channels are in use in the near vicinity? Do I could choose something as far away from any detected channel numbers - instead of relying on SH2 to work it out itself?

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi parkerhelston

We have a new hub now which utilises Smart Wifi, So you will always be on the best Channel available. It also works in conjunction with this app to improve the range and connection 

I can look at getting a new hub out if you wish 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

I already have the Connect App on my iPhone thanks.

I spent longer than an hour in a chat session with VM sales and then tech support - got as far as describing my issues and requested a new hub and it then went all silent and  I got cut off so was certainly a bit frustrated yesterday.

I was under the impression this community was for VM customers to talk things out and offer helpful advice and did not expect be conversing with anyone from VM here.  Are you offering as a representative from VM to see if you can get a hub out to me?

If that is your offer and you are able to get me a new hub, then I would certainly be interested in that offer.  The sales department people tried to persuade me to go for a package upgrade (with higher cost implications) to add Sport and HD to my package as means to get a new hub.  I declined that as the TV package I already have is fine for my needs. If you can get me a replacement improved hub that is (I assume) very likely to resolve my Wifi issues, with no increase to my monthly costs, I would thank you for ever.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon parkerhelston,

Thanks for coming back to Gareth.

We can look at getting a new hub out to you, however this would be issued for free if you have a fault with the hub, which looking at the statistics is in spec.

This may incur a charge, but I'll be happy to look into this, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello to all who had input to the original topic.  As the originator of the trail, I would like to formally close the discussion with thanks to all those who did offer suggestions.  In a private message area of this forum I was helped by an extremely useful person representing VM and I am now in receipt of a brand new Hub3 which has been set up and is working perfectly.

Topic closed with a positive happy outcome.

Steve

0 Kudos