cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Hub 3 has red light!

Starkn93
Joining in

Hi,

my hub 3 is in modem mode and is showing a red power light instead of the usual white power light.

It is solid red but the hub is not overheating and is kept in open space with well ventilation!

Can someone help me?

36 REPLIES 36

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Hi @Starkn93,

Welcome to our Community Forums. Thank you for your first post, and I'm sorry to see that you're experiencing some issues with your Hub and that it is hot to the touch! 

Can you confirm if your base LED Hub light is still showing as red when you switch your Hub to Router Mode?

Is your Hub placed in an open and well-ventilated area, so overheating is not caused by the area in which the Hub is kept?

Please let us know so we can help.

Thanks.

you ask how you can help - the answer is well documented - a tech should be booked and the hub replaced - not sure what else you need!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Starkn93

Thanks for getting back to us with the details, I'm sorry to hear that the red light is still showing. I would like to book a technician appointment for you to get your Hub replaced as it may be overheating. I shall send you a private message to confirm your address now and we can get this sorted.

Best wishes,

Serena

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for replying to my private message @Starkn93. I'm glad that we could get a technician appointment booked for you. Please do keep us posted on how everything is working for you following the technician visit 🙂

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi, Serena

Thank you for your help with technician.

He changed my Hub 3 because it was faulty to another new one (same Hub 3).

Now everything works perfect.

Great to hear Starkn93,

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Alex_Rm

JohnB14
Joining in

My hub 3 light is also now showing a red led light. A few weeks ago the led light changed from white to orange. This continued for a week or so but now the light has changed to a constant red. I have done the usual things, i.e., switch off, left for a while, then switched back on. I have also reset the router (3 times) but still have the same problem.

The unit is NOT hot.

I have used the virgin website to check that the router is working and everything appears to be fine - well, it tells me that one of my machines is having difficulty connecting to wifi. When I try to find out which one the virgin media diagnostic simply tells me that the unit is not at the property that I am testing. Strange, really because all of my machines are at the same address. However, this is not the issue.

My two main machines are 'wired' to the router. The only machines using wifi are tablets and mobile phones.

As I have said the router is working but, because of the red light, i'm never sure whether the router has a problem or not. The home phone is also connected to the router and I cannot afford to loose that connection.

Does the router need replacing?

Hi there @JohnB14

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and thank you so much for trying all the steps we recommend. 

It would be best to get an engineer out to take a look at the router and replace it if needed. I'll pop you a PM now so we can arrange. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Hello gain @JohnB14

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your red light – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

egorm
Joining in

My hub is also showing a constant red light since I installed it yesterday. Accessed the router page and its got a tick to say its in router mode. I'm able to access the internet fine and it doesn't feel hot.

Hi @egorm, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your Hub's red light showing.

Can you firstly please confirm you've tried the following steps:

Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
 Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
 Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If after following the above steps the router doesn't boot back up after a few minutes, or the red light returns when it does, then the router will need replacing.

Please let me know if this is the case, and I'll send you a further PM to arrange this.

Many thanks

Tom_W