cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode (Hub 3 & TP-Link Deco)

rentonsa
Tuning in

Hi there

I recently got three TP-Link Deco M5 mesh units to fix the wifi black spots in the house. I'd seen the advice on here that it's unwise to have both the Hub 3 and the Decos working as DHCP routers and that your choice is either Hub as router and Decos as APs, but it's better with Hub in modem mode and Deco as router.

So, I did what I thought I needed to do- moved the Hub to modem mode and let it reboot to show a magenta light, expecting the Deco, already set up as a router, to have connection. Nothing happened (other than the Deco light turning red), and worse, I couldn't get into the 192.168.100.1 page (or indeed 0.1) on the laptop plugged in directly to the Hub, so I couldn't move it back to router mode. I could only manage that by phoning Virgin and getting them to do it, but they didn't offer any corrective advice. 

Am I doing something wrong? I'd seen that on older hubs, only ethernet port 1 is usable for connecting devices, but I tried every port anyway, to no avail. I'm wondering if my hub is possibly faulty.

Cheers

Scott

12 REPLIES 12

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
You can only have one device connected to the hub when in modem mode - that one device being the main deco unit.

Any other wired connections need to be made via the deco node/s.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

sophist
Trouble shooter

Did you do the initial setup of the deco whilst in router mode? i don't think the deco fully activates / works in the deco app until it has been through the initial setup, for which it requires an internet connection.. so when deploying a new deco system with a VM connection, the first thing you need to do is connect a deco to the hub whilst it is still in router mode, get it all set up and working in the deco app, and then move on to putting the hub in modem mode.. 

Thanks Gary. Yes, I just had the deco in, and then when I tried to move the hub back, just the laptop.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks tehwolf. Yes, I had it the deco all set up and running as a router (with the Hub in router mode). The only thing I changed was the hub status to modem mode, but everything went down at that point.

I'd happily keep trying things if I thought I could get back to having internet, but having to phone Virgin to put it back into router mode is a real deterrent to taking any chances with it, especially when needing it to work from home.

Cheers

Scott

you need to follow a specific sequence to get modem mode running.. have you rebooted the hub since you put it in modem mode?

If not, do so, and ensure that a) the deco is configured to DHCP/Automatic allocation on the WAN interface and b) that it is the only thing connected to the hub via ethernet before you reboot it. 

full instructions below.. but you've already done some of these, so pick up from the appropriate point.. 

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down
Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub
Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system
Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

Thanks tehwolf. I'll give it a shot this evening then- it may very well be that I've done something out of order, so having the strict set of instructions is ideal.

Cheers

Scott

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@rentonsa wrote:

I'd happily keep trying things if I thought I could get back to having internet, but having to phone Virgin to put it back into router mode is a real deterrent to taking any chances with it, especially when needing it to work from home.

Just reset the hub if it goes wrong.

another way to try is have a laptop/PC to the hub change to modem mode let it boot up see if you get internet then power off for 2mins then on allow some mins and unplug replug the Ethernet till you get internet connect your laptop/PC to the  Deco and log in find internet/WAN setting and use the clone option to copt your MAC to the Deco then connect the Deco to the hub. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I'm having the same problem

Virgin Hub3 in modem mode (confirmed by connecting comp via ethernet and testing connection)

- deco m5 connected via ethernet

following instructions on deco app but always ends with red light and no internet

Allesandro, you mention cloning MAC address - could you give a detailed step-by-step if you have the time? It would be most appreciated!

thanks

p

@patwakeley wrote:

Hi I'm having the same problem

Virgin Hub3 in modem mode (confirmed by connecting comp via ethernet and testing connection)

- deco m5 connected via ethernet

following instructions on deco app but always ends with red light and no internet

Allesandro, you mention cloning MAC address - could you give a detailed step-by-step if you have the time? It would be most appreciated!

thanks

p

If you’re connecting a computer that will get assigned to the hub and nothing else.

Power off the hub and just attach the mesh node ONLY nothing else. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi