Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mac mail won't send email

I recently upgraded to MAC OS Catalina and now can't send emails from my mac mail account - I get the following error -

Cannot send the message using the server '...@mac.com'

And 

The server response was: < [REMOVED]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

I am using the same account on another laptop fine. And I can also receive emails on this laptop, just can't send them.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I can't find anything online

Kind regards

Nathan

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac mail won't send email

In Mail:

• select Preferences… > Accounts
  • select the account from which you can not longer send
  • select the Server Settings tab
  • from the Account field's drop down list, located under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), select the correct server for the email address. For example for richard.branson@virginmedia.com you would select the description for smtp.virginmedia.com

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, however this does not work, I get the same message. I don't know why Virgin is blocking it but like I say it works fine on the other laptop (which is on Mojave) and has the same iCloud account as the other one but I get an error message on OS Catalina as outlined in my first post

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very odd. Catalina working just fine for the 4 mail accounts I use out of the Mail App.

Which email providers are you using - you said...

" server '...@mac.com'"

My "Mac mail" address is... xx@icloud.com or others are from... xx@gmail.com or from xx@ntlworld.com.
And the SMPT server addresses reflect those domains

Where is xx@mac.com ?  IIRC, Apple retired the @Mac.com email addresses years ago and transitioned them to iCloud.com ones.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos