cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less than happy with the Virgin broadband coverage

allang13
Joining in

Despite numerous calls over the 10+ years with Virgin, I feel fobbed off by them. I expressed an interest in the Hub 4 but was never offered one. I did the same for the Hub 5 back in October, and the same applies. Yet another call on Thursday (31/3/22) which came to nothing. I've tried the Virgin boosters, buying a Netgear Nighthawk 4 router (£180) using the Virgin hub as a modem, I've had engineers out, an independent technician and the only thing that has helped alleviate the problem was buying 3 BT mesh system discs (£200). 
After the call on Thursday, I discover that Virgin have an equivalent to the BT mesh system which is available, however that has never been mentioned. Unfortunately, my contract doesn't run out until November otherwise I'd be off earlier if I cannot acquire a Hub 5. When I asked about the rollout, it was clear there isn't a schedule in place which could give me a rough idea of when I could get the Hub 5. Having worked on and managed software and hardware rollouts in an IT environment, I find this poor. Priority was always given to those locations needing the new release first.
After so much trouble over the last 2-3 years, despite always paying for the fastest packages, it is disappointing that there is no loyalty from Virgin.
I detest BT and really don't want to go with them, but as far as coverage around the house, it would appear they are a better option.

17 REPLIES 17

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are an IT guy, you should just stick the Hub in Modem mode and buy your own Networking and wifi solution.  It will be yours to keep no matter which ISP you move to.

I can recommend using PoE access points for wifi if you can run cables easily, otherwise look at using a Mesh solution, preferably Triband.  A simple wifi scan of your property will be a good first start to identify problems and black spots.

In all the years i've been with VM, all the Hubs go into modem mode as I have my own solutions for networking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did mention that I bought a Netgear Nighthawk 4 router, using the hub as a modem. The main issue I have with that is that if I was working away, it's not easy for my wife to resolve any issues as the Virgin team don't support the 3rd party equipment, or not for free anyway.

It's the principle of the matter as much as anything. It's not difficult for Virgin to identify and keep a note of those customers having problems with their service and they are not at all pro-active in handling those cases. The basis of it is that I (or anybody else) shouldn't have to be out of pocket to make good the Virgin service.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The three BT Home Hubs should be providing good WiFi, assuming they are correctly placed.  Do you have an unusually large property?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes, the 3 BT home hubs have improved things, but I shouldn't have to be laying out nearly £200 on 3rd party devices to supplement a Virgin system that I'm paying good money for. That's why I'm tempted, but very reluctant, to go the whole hog and transfer my contract to BT. The annoying thing is that Virgin supply these but have never offered them as a solution.

No service provider will garantee full coverage without having to pay extra.  BT for an extra £5-10 a month will supply their mesh type system so will Virgin with their pods.  Its always better just to buy your own though

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

By all means move to another ISP, but if you want full WiFi coverage of your house you will probably need to use your BT mesh devices anyway, so what will you have gained? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I'd like to be given the opportunity of using the Hub 5 seeing as I'm paying good money to Virgin. It doesn't take a great deal of working out that Virgin should be providing me with the best equipment available instead of a sub-standard Hub 3.They also provide the pods if they are required, meaning I could sell my BT mesh system.

I am happy to pay, but my gripe is that these systems are being given to new customers and not being prioritised to people who have stayed loyal to Virgin despite years of problems.It irks even more when they were advertising them 6 months ago and I'm still no nearer to even hearing when I'll get one. It smacks of shops saying they'll something cheaper than the next shop but they don't have them in stock. It's taking the ****.

@allang13 a couple of things, firstly what makes you think that the Hub 5 will be any better than what you already have? Is it just that it has a higher number so it must be better? A brief read through some of the other threads on here where customers have been sent a 5 and subsequently needed to arrange a swop back to an earlier model, and are finding some features just not working properly; just might dissuade you!

The 5 is still very much on a early pre-release 'trial' basis, it is only recently that the ability to use a landline phone through it was enabled and at the moment nether the VM pods (their equivalent of the BT disks) nor the SamKnows speed test work with it. And no, it's not being given to new customers in preference to existing ones - it is being offered to some customers on a 'can you please test this out for us and see what doesn't work basis' - please be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

As for the VM pods, they aren't free, unless you are on the 1 Gig or VOLT tiers, otherwise they are £5 per month on top of your subscription fee - and you never own them, they always remain VM's property and have to be returned if and when you cancel.

Also remember that VM rent the equipment to you, all they are obliged to do is to send you equipment capable of supporting the service you are paying for, if you are on the 1 Gb/s provision then this has to be a Hub 4, anything less then a Hub 3 is just as capable - they certainly have no obligation to send you the best equipment - although even that term is somewhat subjective.

OK, look, I do see your point, you feel aggrieved at needing to spend money on something that you feel that your provider should, well, provide -  but I can absolutely guarantee you that the coverage and performance you have now with the BT disks absolutely will be better than what the Hub 4 or 5 alone will give you.