Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Latency not very low but reasonable

Hi,

I was just wondering if there were any ways I could decrease my latency as it hangs around 20.

I usually get 16MS or higher over Cat6 Ethernet. It depends it sometimes drops.

I might be sounding picky but my aim is to keep latency below 10MS

I also use the Orange fibre network and get latency of about 1-3MS at another location and the latency is very noticeable when using remote desktop.

Refer to below for live Latency 

BMQ 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Latency not very low but reasonable

Ping or latency?  Whilst there's no absolute agreement, ping is usually a one way trip, latency is usually a round trip to the target server and back to your own device.

On VM you'll get minimum latency of around 19ms, depending on network distance to the test server, but because of the way DOCSIS works you'll always have a fringe of peaking latency (see my chart below).

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

By VM standards that trace above is a good clean connection, some people have a lot worse.  In terms of can you do anything to reduce it, the answer is yes, you need to move closer to the test server.  Or, sign up with Openreach.  The way VDSL technology works, it massively reduces the peaking compared to VM's technology.  Obviously things are different if the local network is congested, but that applies to both DOCSIS and VDSL.

And a final thought - your response time to visual stimulus is about ten or fifteen times greater than the average latency you're seeing.  Chasing down a 5-10 ms improvement in latency will be imperceptible in your gaming performance.  If you want to use technology to enhance your gaming, then (if you haven't already done so) you might want to look at 144 Hz gaming monitors, and making sure your gaming rig is capable of taking advantage of that - even if it means turning down detail levels to ensure FPS stays really high.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mines up and down, first started at 13ms then 17ms then the past month upto 21ms before dropping back a little to 17ms.

I take it that means the green bar area on the BQM? Whenever I do a speed test it’s around 8-9ms so why it doesn’t reflect that on the graph I don’t know.

——————————————— My Broadband Ping - Virgin 200mb Home Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
In speed tests it is usually ping which is generally lower but in my case is exactly the same as my latency, that's why your graph does not show it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I mean I have just re contracted as my area is going to have City Fibre and Openreach FTTP in the next year, so when the end of contract comes, I will obviously leave for gigabit speeds with lower latency and ping (or quicker if the UK are as good as the rest of Europe that are doing speed's in excess of 10 GIG and 5 as standard)

I am aware of VDSL technology and how it works but its just not suitable in my area as it is not very quick which is why I stayed with virgin even if FTTP is coming this year and was offered a free upgrade to gigabit when it came by TalkTalk.
I have also run tests on BT customers networks in the area and have found that the Ping and latency is higher than virgin media even if the BT cab in view from my window is being upgraded every week

In response to gaming performance i have a Nvidia 2070 Super and can run most games in highest settings.
Take a look at https://novabench.com/view/2150618
to see my performance pc wise
I do use multiple machines but that is my main one.

Monitor wise I am currently trying to source 2 monitors of that spec.

The reason i was trying to get the ping and latency down is as if you look at this https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e9c9d460152cab7c87731e06306748baff...

This is a Virgin customer that has a decent connection.

Also to add my local network does have high usage but usually when i am not using it or at night as i do remote desktoping to machines in different countries via TeamViewer and screen share on macOS
my internal network is generally okay as I leave some headroom on the Uplinks between switches in different rooms so I know my internal infrastructure can handle the load.
But I know that I do need to upgrade my existing copper to fibre optic between the different rooms as that is causing me a few minor issues. where I get some speed drop over distance.

my main reason that my latency is an issue is because of my NAS that has a VPN server which is used for external access via Microsoft remote desktop to some machines. and also to backup computers that are taken off site like laptops. So when my latency goes up so does the noticeability of movements when using remote desktop. That's one of the reasons i cant wait for FTTP as it resolves most of my networking needs. The reason i have not gone for quicker speeds with virgin is because of the cost but also because my area is already over subscribed and other customers are not getting even half the speed they pay for since an engineer came to my address to replace a 20 year old coax things have got better but at the peek i still slow down a bit but less than before so things are getting better.

I am on M100 113Down 10UP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So when my latency goes up so does the noticeability of movements when using remote desktop

Fair enough, but you're not going to notice a 10ms variation in latency, or even 30.  The server-equivalent latency on a remote desktop in another country will be 50 ms for France to 200 ms for Singapore, and that's BEFORE the application processing on the remote machine and the processing and display time on yours.  And if you're using a business grade 60 Hz monitor, your world moves in 16ms increments anyway.

You seem on top of the options available to you, so the short answer to the original question is "no, nothing you can do".  Latency on DOCSIS always does vary because it is a closed circuit radio frequency communications service, and that affected by all manner of intangibles that affect RF, plus the fact that VM generally operate their networks with as little spare capacity as possible.  Looking at your BQM there's no evidence of local congestion problems as such, but there comes a point for any segment when traffic gets scheduled by the CMTS, and I'm guessing that may be what's driving the spikes visible on your BQM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Just thought I would let you know I now have two 144HZ monitors, so that is no longer my limitation.
0 Kudos