Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lag Spikes Whilst Streaming or playing on PS4

Hello , first time post 🙂

I've been with Virgin on Vivid 350 for 6 months now and the service has been fantastic and I've been so happy . However 2 weeks ago I have started to get lag spikes ( every 2 minutes or so ) which affects my Twitch stream and gameplay . Admittedly I use wireless when on my Mac but I do use wired on my PS4 . My neighbour 2 floors below let me use her Vivid 350 wifi so I could compare and streaming was fine on my Mac with her wifi . 

When I Speedtest both our wifis ping is ~9ms and the speeds are 380/36 every time to any server ( if that helps ? ) .

I made sure I'm using an unused channel 2.4 ghz only and 5 ghz only ( 20/40 and 20/40/80 ) and I also let smart wifi do it things , I even put the Hub into modem mode and used my Apple Airport and the spikes persist . As a last resort I reset the Hub and still the lag spikes are occurring . I'm quite savvy and have read through other posts , I hope I'm missing something . For day to day use its great , I just can't game ( even without streaming ) or stream due to these spikes . 

For completeness , I'm third floor , my neighbour is first floor but I think I should mention the apartments on the ground floor are being completely gutted and renovated , maybe a cable or some thing has been nudge ( if it even works like that ) .

Any assistance greatly received ,

Thank you 

--

Shaun

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag Spikes Whilst Streaming or playing on PS4

Hi again ,

Just a quick follow up , I had some time today so linked my iMac up via ethernet with Hub in modem only mode and download a 10Gb files . It should take ~5 mins , it did download at full speed however every 60-70 seconds the download would stop briefly ( I used activity monitor and chromes download manager ) , then pick up to full speed again . This fits in with the time intervals of my lag spikes occur whilst gaming / streaming . For comparison I used my neighbours Vivid 350 wifi again and although the speeds were overall slightly slower , there was no dropout .

Any advice welcomed .

Cheers , 

--

Shaun

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ShaunN, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry you're having a few issues since joining, I've found your details and run a quick health check of the account.

A few of your hub levels are not what they should be so I've popped you over a private message (little purple envelope in the top right hand corner) so i can get a few more derails. 

Get back to me when you can,

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex , thank you for the welcome and reply with instructions . I've done as you requested and look forward to hearing from you .

Cheers
--
Shaun
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi All , 

Just an update . Alex_RM ( forum team ) arranged an engineer visit 2 days after contacting me . Engineer came and found an " antique connector " and took me off a splitter and put me onto a " single barrel ", he said I now have a super clean line . I also asked him if my phone line was connected as the installer guy seemed kinda hazy about it ( I use mobile , so couldn't check ) , he was disappointed it hadn't been connected and he happily did the necessary work and demonstrated a dial tone for me .

Alex then got back to me a week later to let me know that the levels were still iffy and he arranged another visit 2 days later . Engineer couldn't find any problems with the wiring and swapped my router for a new one .

A week later and all seems good .

Thank you Alex for sorting this issue for me . I can't praise you and the engineers enough . You were all so polite and willing to listen and help Smiley Happy

Cheers

--

Shaun

0 Kudos