cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Teams

ALotey
Tuning in

Hi there, first time post! I’ve had an issue with having video calls in Microsoft Teams, I’ve read the forums and can see this is a known issue with the Hub3 and/or downstream.

my speed is 200mb and fairly solid, the problem only occurs when having video calls in teams (audio calls seem to be fine). 

The router is around 5 meters away and I still get around 150mb speeds! This problem only happens when I am at home and doesn’t happen with other WiFi providers.

Some advice I have seen on here suggests that I should disable the firewall, I am worried about doing this so grateful if virgin media could get in contact please to help? This is affecting my, and my wife’s ability to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The most common problem with Teams (and other video call, gaming or live-stream uses) is poor latency and it's frequent friend packet loss, which lead to video glitches and freezes, audio dropouts, and in the worst cases loss of connection.  The BQM that @Adduxi has suggested will show if there's anything obviously amiss with your connection.

There nothing inherently wrong with a Hub 3 - the wifi is a bit mediocre, but shouldn't of itself cause problems with Teams unless you're subject to range and coverage problems due to an unfavourable wifi environment.  Having offered that not-absolutely-ringing endorsement of the Hub 3's wifi, I should point out I run mine in modem mode with my own mesh wifi setup, but at this stage I'm not recommending that to you - we'll hopefully find out from the data what sort of problem you have, and can see if that's something that VM's technicians need to attend to. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try splitting the wifi SSID and turn off Smart Optimisation as well.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes

You will need to connect to the new SSID names for your kit. 

Also setup a BQM here to record the quality of signal to your Hub  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

As an aside, VM do not have any SLA's on residential contracts, so if you really need internet for work, then you should have a backup.  VM also do not guarantee wifi, apart from making wifi extender Pods available, either to rent or free depending on your Contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, but I think I’ll wait for VM to respond!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ALotey wrote:

Thanks, but I think I’ll wait for VM to respond!

As you wish.  It may take a day or two for a VM Mod to respond. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The most common problem with Teams (and other video call, gaming or live-stream uses) is poor latency and it's frequent friend packet loss, which lead to video glitches and freezes, audio dropouts, and in the worst cases loss of connection.  The BQM that @Adduxi has suggested will show if there's anything obviously amiss with your connection.

There nothing inherently wrong with a Hub 3 - the wifi is a bit mediocre, but shouldn't of itself cause problems with Teams unless you're subject to range and coverage problems due to an unfavourable wifi environment.  Having offered that not-absolutely-ringing endorsement of the Hub 3's wifi, I should point out I run mine in modem mode with my own mesh wifi setup, but at this stage I'm not recommending that to you - we'll hopefully find out from the data what sort of problem you have, and can see if that's something that VM's technicians need to attend to. 

Thanks!

An output from the BQM below:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a098f1fa8309071fc579b46df8520d9484387fda

Grateful for any VM mods’ help please? 

@ALotey wrote:

Grateful for any VM mods’ help please? 

COuld take a day or so as suggested - it's a community forum, populated with people who have significant experience troubleshooting VM connections and are expert in a lot of different kit and software!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's nothing obviously amiss in the BQM, other than a very few latency spikes.  Is it possible to connect the (presumed) laptop to the hub by ethernet cable, and see if this makes the problem resolve?  If it does, what that indicates is that the wifi connection may be poor, and you might want to reconsider @Adduxi's suggestions, as well as turning off "intelligent wifi" and any auto-optimisation settings.

You could try the following to see if there's anything in the hub's status to indicate a problem, but based on the BQM I'm not expecting to see much:  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Hi ALotey, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you are having an issue with your connection via Teams. I can see our VIPs Adduxi and Andrew have given some great suggestions already 🙂 

Taking a look at your account and Hub stats, all seems to be looking good. All power levels and signal levels are optimal. The uptime of the hub is good and there is nothing to suggest an issue. The BQM that you've posted also looks quite good. 

I can see the ethernet cables you are using are only 100mb so these may cause some issues with not getting the best out of your speeds. I would recommend changing these to a cat 6 minimum. 

As well as the suggestion from Adduxi, please have a look at these links as they will help you to optimise your wireless network to improve things:

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath_F

Thanks for looking into my speeds etc, I have read many people having issues with MS Teams as Virgin broadband customers.  I am concerned at your response as it doesn’t help me whatsoever -  we use WiFi to connect to laptops and MS Teams, all the devices that have Ethernet connectivity have no issues.

Whenever I try any other WiFi’s from other providers (my parents house etc.) I don’t have this issue, my wife has to hotspot her phone as she is conducting training over MS Teams this week - even though Speedtests indicate we are receiving around 150mbps! I’m sure you can agree, pretty pointless us having VM broadband if our mobile data network provides what we need..

if you can’t do anything further, can you please escalate this to 2nd or 3rd line engineers to look at, as if this can’t be resolved I will need to move providers.

Can you help escalate this please as I haven’t received a helpful response in relation to my actual issue?