cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipv6 status

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

Is there any update on when ipv6 will be deployed to virgin? Or even a rough timeline of after docsis 3.1 upgrades or we aim for q2 next year ?

33 REPLIES 33

You would need an intermediate mail server that routes email based on recipient. All smtp traffic would hit this server, the server would process the mail and deliver it to the correct internal server based on the recipient address.  I'm sure that most/all decent smtp servers can do this - i'd probably opt to use qmail, but only because I'm familiar with it. 

So your asking me to change my infrastructure to be much more complicated and might be very tricky to do because ipv6 isn't deployed enough by certain isp's virgin and talk talk. 

The tricky issue I'm talking about is we manage smtp servers that our clients use. They can at any point add a new mx record that point another of their domains at the mail server. How would we know this and add the routing to the proxy ?

You keep saying I can get ipv4 addresses on incumbent isp's so you must be bad at your job. I can probably get more ipv4 addresses even if I have a pay a bit for them but the point is their scarcity is going to get worse and ipv6 uptake is going to be 5+ years after the last isp is dragged kicking and screaming into it's use.

Would love to see google,facebook,netflix and amazon switch off ipv4 and keep ipv6 for an hour and display a message saying you don't support ipv6 contact your isp via phone,email or twitter and see what happens. I suspect virgins and talk talks plans might move up a bit.

you're missing the point.

no one is saying you're bad at your job (at least I don't think they are).

the point is, you have no control over what (and when) virgin (or talktalk) do with their network.  If you want to service your customers then you either need to purchase more IP addresses so that you can work with your current architecture, or you need to re-architect around the fact that v4 addresses are scarce.  VM aren't going to work to anyone's timescales other than their own (and given we're in 2021 with no sign of v6, they're on the slowboat...)

lewislfoster
Tuning in

Ive just noticed earlier that on my pfsense router i had a WAN IPv6 gateway when previously it was pending, i have a feeling that things might be rolling out, i havent found any form of confirmation or anything recent about any IPv6 rollout though