cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping for several minutes

wellingtonboots
Joining in

Hi,

I have a hub 3.0 and I have never had a problem with my internet connection for the 3 years i have been at virgin media.

Since 2 days ago, I have noticed in the evenings around 9pm there the internet starts to intermittently drop. I am connected via Wifi. This will go on for around 2 hours until 11.30pm. I have tired restarting my router multiple times, repositioning it, checking all the physical connections are fine etc. None of this has worked. 

I tired to do the thinkbroadband monitor but the monitor was just completely blank, I couldn't set up properly because I could find (Advanced Settings > Advanced > Ping > Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP). I do not have Advanced option in Advanced setting in my router home page. 

I have been repeatedly pinging google DNS servers - I get intermittent Request timed out notices - 4 or five in a row. and this happens every few minutes for about 2 hours. I cannot use my internet at night basically. 

Please can some help me?

28 REPLIES 28

I'm not sure what a utilisation outage is... Does it mean Over Utilisation?

OU problems are not good and take months / years to fix!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi, 

This is the information I have been give:

The fault reference is: F008772646

Details: High utilisation is impacting your upstream. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved.

I guess this is over utilisation problem and its going to be difficult to fix? Anyone else experiences anything like this before?

@wellingtonboots a brief look through some other threads in this forum will tell you that you issue you have is depressingly not uncommon. Alas to add insult to injury, often the ‘fix’ date comes and goes with absolutely no change other then if you enquire then the data has been moved on by a week or so - rinse and repeat.

I’d give them at least the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what happens before the end of the month, but in the meantime, you might want to spend some time investigating alternative suppliers.

Hi, 

Thanks for the advice, I was wondering if alternative suppliers like BT/Sky have the same over utilisation problems? Also I am lock in a contract so its very hard to exit. What can I do about this?

Hi,

I just wanted some advice regarding my BQM. I have really high latencies compared to other people and I am now getting a lot of packet loss over a long period of time which makes teleconferencing very difficult. 

I only noticed the issues about 4 days ago, and its been a persistent problems since then. Apparently there is over utilisation in my area and virgin are working to fix this, but I was wondering if the packet loss/high latencies are caused by something else as well? 

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Connection

Thank you for the update @wellingtonboots.

Your BQM does not look too great. This may be due to the local fault in the area. Please continue to monitor this and let me know if the issue persists after the given estimated fix time. 

We apologise again for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi 

I have continued to monitor my connection and as you can see it has not improved over the last several days. I still get maximum latencies of over 700ms and huge yellow spikes all the time from 8am to 12 am. 

Please can anyone from Virginia help with this as it it preventing me from doing my usual teleconferencing for my job. 

@wellingtonboots nope that’s not an area fault but classic signs of over utilisation in your area. Now the chances of it being fixed are, to be honest, not brilliant, but you never know. For your own sake, at least start the process of checking for alternative suppliers.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is the classic OU profile in a BQM - plus they have admitted it is one. Other suppliers will not have that issue. Look at way of exiting your contract without penalties.  When did you join - was it a known issue when you signed up - would be interesting to know.

See this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 4 (search for others - there are many!)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

@Andrew-G  may give some some useful pointers for you

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

As clear a case of over-utilisation as I've seen.  The usual advice applies:

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle. Last year many over-utilisation complaints were due to Covid and home working, at this point in time they're primarily down to VM over-selling beyond available capacity.  There are efforts to try and stop this happening, they aren't always effective as you can see.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work and spend tens of millions each year to increase capacity.  But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic  And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works.  Staff here or on the phone won't know if a fix date is real or not.  Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.  That's not the fault of any of the staff you will deal with, it is down to VM's poor management and culture of corporate denial of problems.. And because of this, the problem could be permanently fixed within two weeks if work is already scheduled, it might be six months away, or it may be that the scheme doesn't pass priority and rate-of-return tests and it will never be fixed until sufficient customers cancel.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll possibly have to use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."

Of late VM have in some instances been quite straightforward in agreeing to release customers without early termination charges for those affected by this VM-caused problem.  Perhaps the forum staff could explain a way forward through PM with you.  Should there be any difficulty then I'm happy to elaborate on beating up VM with their own complaints process and subsequently taking them to the cleaners through escalation to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, it will be better for all concerned if we don't have to go down that route.  Or you may decide that the raw bandwidth is sufficiently useful that you'll wait in hope of a fix, whilst accepting that any information provided on fix dates might as well have "Now wash your hands" printed on it.  In that case you should demand a sizeable discount until the problem is fixed.  If I was faced with this situation, I'd leave, but only you know what your alternative options are, and what seems the best outcome for you.